Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

1990 F250: 7.3L..diesel..grinding..the starter for like 30 seconds

I have a 1990 F250 7.3L diesel that has a starting issue. After sitting over night, it usually will fire right off, then within a second will stop and then will not start again until after grinding the starter for like 30 seconds. I think it is starting with the fuel left in the injector pump, but for some reason does not have fuel in the line to keep it running. Thoughts?
Hello, does your truck still use the plastic fuel bowl or has it been converted to an all metal filter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, after the truck sits over night, you will need to remove the fuel filter and see if it full of fuel. If it is full, then the air leak is before the lift pump. If it is not full, then the leak is after the lift pump. Let me know which it is then we can continue diagnosis. Your email is removed by the moderator, we can only repond on this site. Thanks

Edited by Dieseljunky2 on 3/5/2010 at 7:31 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Gotcha. Thanks, I'll do that and let you know. It'll likely be Monday before I'll be able to respond.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Additional question: on the 1990 7.3L diesel, just curious if the lift pump is the same thing as the injector pump? Thanks.

No, the lift pump is the pump that transfers the fuel from the tank to the filter then to the injector pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Removed the fuel filter. It was not full.

Ok, now we will need to make a few tests. Do youhave any fuel residue around the filter or in the area below the injection pump? If you have no residue, then you will need a piece of clear tubing from the hardware store. The tubing will be to replace the fuel line between the frame metal tube and the lift pump on the side of the engine. It should be long enough to loop the hose. Then run the engine and watch for air bubbles in the hose when it is idling. If there is no air here, then put the clear line between the lift pump and the fuel filterl. Again check for air bubbles with the engine running. Let me know what happens. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I know we haven't troubleshot this completely, but I'd like to accept your answer and be done. I'm afraid I won't have to do this additional test until the coming weekend and don't want to prolong you not getting paid for your help. Thanks again.

Click the accept button here and when you are ready, we can continue. Thanks