A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 97 Ford F150 and the driver side window quit going

Customer Question

I have a '97 Ford F150 and the driver side window quit going down. I swapped the "one touch down" relay, and it still does not work, if I switch the polarity at the window motor the "up" switch will let it go down. I have also replaced the switches themselves and it does not work either.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You may have a broken wire for the power window circuit. If you have a meter or a test light, do this simple test. At the window motor, see if you get power on one wire when pushing the up switch and on the other wire when pushing the down switch for the drivers door. Let me know what direction has no power.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tested power at window motor, orange wire with white stripe had no power when I hit the down button, White wire with black stripe had power when pushed up.

Ok. Below is a wiring diagram that I am using for your truck.

graphic

The ORANGE/WHITE striped wire comes from the dash fuse box/GEM module. Do this other check. There are two big connectors on the back of the dash fuse box. They are held down with 10mm bolts. Unscrew the bolts and remove the connectors. See if there is any green corrosion or signs of water on them. Also check where the connect at the fuse box. You may have to unbolt it from the dash to see inside, unless you have a mirror and a flash light.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry a response took so long, lost daylight to work then my Job got in the way of looking at it.

There was no green corrosion all was clean ( l Live in a very dry climate). I could not get the dash apart enough to completely inspect the back of the fuse box.

I did see on the wiring diagram you gave me that the orange/white wire was supposed to terminate at the "#87" terminal on the one touch down relay. So I did a continuity test from the relay to the window motor and it rang out perfectly. no interuption in that wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
edit: The terminal i tested on the relay was #30 not 87. there is continuity between terminal 30 on the "one touch down relay" and the end of the orange/white wire at the window motor

Check for continuity from the switch to pin #9 and pin #10 on the connector below from the connector to the switch. If the circuits check out good, replace the GEM module and possibly the fuse box.

graphic

And here is the other part of the wiring diagram.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry for the delayed response, life has been busy, I greatly appreciate your help and advise. There was no continuity on either pin 9 or 10 to the switch. I found this odd cause one is for the up command, and the up function works properly. I did have the entire fuse box and GEM unplugged at the moment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Never mind, I realized that the connector you sent the picture of was upsidedown from how it sits in the truck, since plug is symetrical there was no tell-tail signs as to up and down untill I removed the back. retested and found continuity on both. I am going to try to test fuse box somehow to see if it is functional. As simply buying both GEM and Fusebox on a is very pricey so if possible I would like to narrow it down. Does a new Gem Module need to be programed or is it a plug in situation?

Sorry about the diagrams. Your GEM module does not need to be programmed. Just make sure it is for your vehicle. The main difference is year and whether it is 4x4 or not.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm am sorry for the excessive delay, it took me a long time to locate a new fuse box. I have now replaced the fuse box and the GEM module and the window still does not work going down.
Ok, to refresh myself with your trucks problem. The drivers window will only work in the up direction correct? The window will only go down when you swap the polarity.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, that is correct. I have replaced the motor, relay, GEM module, interier fuse box, and have checked continuity with all wires from huge junction plugs to motor, and they all check out.

Just now when working on it i also noticed that the switch on the drivers side window for the passanger window seems to have some "bleed though" effect aswell. When i have both windows down and use the passanger window switch both will go up slowly, the drivers side switch only effects the drivers side window.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also there is power at the motor on the white with black stripe wire when i use switch for window up opperation but none at the orange with white stripe when i use the switch for window down.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one other bit of info that may be connected is the mirror control also does not work

Do the mirrors not move at all or only in one or two directions?

It sounds like a wiring or switch problem. Let me do a little digging here at work and see what I can come up with.

Below is a pin point test for the LF window problem. It is a little long, but it is a PDF file that you can print out.

CLICK HERE

Don't worry about the codes unless you have access to a code reader or scan tool that can communicate with the GEM module.