Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

My check engine light has come on - 2007 Ford F150 - 5.4 liter

My check engine light has come on - 2007 Ford F150 - 5.4 liter V8 - changed fuel filter and the rail fuel pressure sensor but the light still remains on - suggestions please????
Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The check engine light comes on when the PCM (computer) sees a systems fault. When this happens the PCM sets a code and or codes. You next step is to have the system scanned and the code and or codes retrieved, once you have them we can direct you in the right repair. Most part stores will do the scan for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They did this test at Advance Auto and it came up as Fuel Rail Auto Pressure sensor so this was changed out. The light still stays on. More suggestions please.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

So when they replaced the sensor, did they clear the code?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He reset the light but it again came back on immediately afterwards.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Can you give me the actual code?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I just changed the part and did not take it back to Advance Auto afterwards. He reset the light and the light came back on - no code appeared at all - just the check engine light.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

If teh check engine light is on, then there is a stored code. See if you can get it and I can help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will go back to either Advance to get the computer put it back on again. What do you need exactly to give me an answer?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
All I need you to do is give me the fault codes from the scan.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tomorrow I will go back and have them put it back on the computer and get the fault codes. The mechanic had said it was the rail sensor and then replaced it, reset the computer but the check engine light still comes on. My fear is a bad computer in the truck, wiring, and a whole host of other things. How do I get back to you with this answer?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Its not likely the PCM (computer) so let not get to worried. All you have to do is return to this question tomarrow , I will be here for you. I think we can figure this out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was so worried about the computer (PCM) - I will find out the fault code and definitely get back to you.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

No dont loose any sleep over this, get me the code and also give me your vin number tomarrow ..Let me see what I can come up with ..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fault code is PO 191 (fuel rail pressure sensor supposedly). The VIN # XXXXX XXXXX Hope this helps. Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Yes that is a fuel pressure sensor code but if the sensor is good have you checked the actual fuel pressure?

Ford has a TSB that deals with this code as well. I have sent it for your review.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Edited by Ron on 3/4/2010 at 9:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have not checked this but will do so. Will let you know. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Your very welcome, thank you very Much as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have a F250 or F350 - it is a F150 - 5.4 liter engine. Keep digging please. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Can you give me your Vin number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

VIN - 1FTRF14507NA17508

Fault Code PO 191

2007 Ford F150 -5.4

Thanks

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

There is nothing listed for this code in you report, as you can see as I have enclosed it, I would start with having a scan tool hooked up that can read the data ans what the readings are actually reading. Start with checking actual fuel pressure. Here is the pinpoint test for this code.

graphic

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs