kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

my 2001 ford f250 works in reverse but wont move in drive

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Does the engine bog down when you put it into a forward gear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it revs up like it would in neutral its automatic transmission incase u didnt figure that out
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell where the oil is coming from for the rear diff?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
looks like its coming from the seal where the drive shaft enters
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

I need to know a little about the trans.

1. Do you know which trans you have?

2. If you do not know which one you have can you tell me what the pan looks like?

3. Can you tell me what happened before the trans stopped pulling forward?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1.the truck is actually an 02 not sure what model of transmission it has its the oem automatic the truck is a 4x4 i dont know how to describe the pan it looks like a pan
3. it was working fine until i stopped at a light then wen i started driving it wouldnt go
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Is the pan long with a tale on the back, or is it square?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it looks like a square with one corner cut out it says ford and metric on it
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Is the pan about 2 foot long?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ya sounds about right
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I need you to unplug the main plug at the rear of the trans on the passenger side. It will be behind a heat shield that is held on with two bolts " I think they have an 8mm head on them". Check the plug for trans fluid and burnt pins / wires.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the only plug i could find on the rear of the transmission passenger side is on the top of the transmission just out of reach.
when the problem started the truck would start moving if i reved real high then it would start creepng forward get a little speed then drop into the next gear and drive somewhat normal then i stopped again and it wouldnt move it was in 2wd when it worked somewhat tried in 4wd and no movement at all
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
The plug I need you to find is just above the trans pan on the back corner. It will have a heat shield blocking it that will have to be removed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does it plug into the top? the side? the bottom?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
It is on the passenger side above the pan, about 4 inches from the rear of the pan forward just past the cooler line. It will have 12 wires coming out of it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay pulled it it was an orange plug with twelve wires and it had no oil on it and was not burnt
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
OK I have to ask a stupid question, Have you check the fluid level yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes and it is well in the normal range it is the normal red color it smells normal not burnt just that funky tranny fluid smell
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

Is the check engine light on with the engine running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

With all you have told me I would have to say That your problem is going to be one of three things,

1. A bad shift solenoid

2. A stuck valve in the valve body.

3. The gear selector switch is bad.

The only one of the three that i can help you check would be the gear selector switch.

Does the truck pull if you put the shifter all the way down in manual 1st gear or second? If it does then replace the gear selector switch mounted on the drivers side of the trans on the gear selector lever. If the truck does not move in manual 1st or 2nd, then you will need to take it to a trans shop to have them do a diagnostic on the trans and shift solenoid block.