A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1997 ford F150: v6..misses , shakes..runs fine..new plugs..coil pack (

Customer Question

I have a 1997 ford F150 4.2 v6 my problem is I drive couple hours truck runs excellent get home and truck sits couple days When I go to start it it starts and quits Itry again have to hold my foot to floor takes about a minute to start , When it starts misses , shakes, and poping in cadilatic convertor after couple minutes runs fine Have had fuel system pressure tested, new plugs, wires, coil pack (does it more often when damp out If I drive somewhere and it sits all day starts right up when time to leave
Category: Ford
Expert:  Nathan Hosier replied 4 years ago.
Hi it sounds like your idle air control valve is sticking this is a silver colored valve on top of the intake near where the air cleaner hose attatches to throttle body it wil have a two wire connector if it is sticking when you try to start the eng it will allow to much air into eng and cause eng to die can not explain the popping in the catalyic converter but the idle air control valve could cause the eng to miss after eng warms up then usually the eng will run perfect and no more problems tell you let set again hope this helps thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
put new one on allready

Ok I wil opt out and see if any one else has any good idea sorry I was no more help

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

seems to be flooded if fuel regulator was sticking sometimes when I shut it off would this flood it It only pops on drivers side

If the fuel pressure regulator was sticking you would have saw high fuel pressure when you checked pull the spark plugs out on the side where you think the popping nosie is coming from and check electrodes look for one that is wet maybe you have a fuel injector that is not spraying fuel it is dribbling or leaking bad if you find one then leave that fuel injector unplugged and see if it starts better that would be the only other thing I can think of

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If fuel injector was dribbling would it not miss when driving or idling. does none of those After it starts runs excellent even good on gas
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

Hello JAGUEST,

Try this simple test in the morning. Turn the ignition key to on, not start, hold it there for 2 seconds, then turn it to off. Do this about 3 times and see how the truck starts. If it starts right up with no problems, you problem is a check valve in the fuel pump assembly that is not replaceable without replacing the fuel pump assembly. The check valve keeps fuel in the fuel lines for startup. When the check valve fails, fuel drains back to the fuel tank and the pump has to resupply the fuel lines with fuel causing your problem.