kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

96 ford explorer, 4.0L V6, to change out the front timing gears,

96 ford explorer, 4.0L V6, to change out the front timing gears, do you have to pull the engine?
No. You can replace the timing chain with out pulling the engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How, What exact procedure do you need to do to pull the front cover off after the water pump? All the literature I have (AlldataDIY.com) says that the engine must be pulled.

Please explain the procedure in detail.

The alldata tells you to pull the engine to replace the oil pan. If you can raise the engine "use a cherry picker, engine hoist" then you can raise the engine enough to lower the pan to replace the gasket.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Have you ever done this on a ford 4.0 in a 96 explorer?

If not, I would prefer to chat with someone who has personal experience.

Thanks.

Yes I have done this. The pan will not come all the way out, but you can replace the gasket with out pulling the engine. Just pull the engine mounts and rais the engine.

Edited by kalamykid on 2/28/2010 at 8:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I have done this on a chevy 454 in a Class A motorhome recently. I was able to raise the engine with a jack, snake the one piece gasket in and reinstall the tin pan.

That pan is different from a 4.0 L in the Ford Explorer. If you notice they talk about alignment and shimming the pan so it will not engage the flywheel. The pan is cast aluminum and it is a different animal .

So I just want to be clear... Have you completed a pan gasket and a timing chain install in a 96 four wheel drive Ford Explorer?

The reason I am so insistent is that I do not want to get in there, raise the engine, then find out I have to drop the front diff and I still can't do it easily.

Thanks

If you drop the pan down and are careful not to damage the pan gasket you can reuse it. If it does get damaged you can replace it. It is a one piece gasket, and it is not easy to get the back of the gasket under the pick up screen but it can be done. I have done it at least 5 times in the last 2 years.
Pulling the front diff will make the task easier put does not have to be done.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK,

Last question, any estimate of time to do it this way?

It will take you around 7 hours to do the job. If you are careful and do not hurt the oil pan gasket it will be about an hour shorter. If you do not hurt the oil pan gasket make sure to use a small amount of rtv black in the corners where the oil pan,timing cover and block meat, to make sure there is no leak.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, Thanks. I appreciate your help
If you have any trouble come back to this post and I will help you through it. Thank you for coming to justanswer.com.