Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

1994 ford ranger: cyl..run fine..a relay and a clutch switch..sensors

1994 ford ranger, manual trans, 4 cyl, will not turn over just load click, however will start up and run fine when pushed off and engagee gear, replaced, solonoid, same problem, two other switches, a relay and a clutch switch, where do I find these? Checked all wiring, ground etc, getting power to lights and radio and dooe sensors beeping, etc..
Hello, since you are getting a loud click, the relay and clutch switch are operating. Do you have a volt meter to make a few checks?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have ford ranger 94, manual trans, will not start, just load click, change relay, and clutch starter relay, still same thing, do I need to change starter itself, the truck will bump off in first gear and run fine, need help, what else do I need to do? Mark
I sent you a request as to if you have a volt meter or not? I don't want you to replace any more parts that are not bad. What you are describing sounds like the starter itself, but it could also be a poor ground or battery connection or cable. that is why we need to do a few voltage checks to verify the starter is bad. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i have a volt meter, what do i need to do with it? how do I tast the starter with volt meter? I checked all connections, and ground wire attached to side of radiator, Mark
Take the volt meter check for power on the big post of the starter solenoid that is going to the motor part of the starter while the key is turned to the start position. If you have voltage here, then check for voltage on the starter housing when the key is in the start position. There should be no voltage on the housing. If these two checks are ok, then the starter motor is bad and the starter will need replacing. If you do not get these voltages, tell me what you have and I will help you diagnose what is wrong. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Changed the starter out still same clicking, the clicking is coming from starter itself. could it be bad wiring? wires look good

Turn the headlights on and try to start it. What do the headlights do? What were the voltage readings on the checks I asked you to do before replacing the starter? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
explain better about voltage checks, do I check at starter itself? I will check lights when trying to turn over....check voltage on starter housing? where do you put ground? on chassis, when checking housing?
On the negative battery post with one lead, and the starter housing with the other lead.. You are looking for a poor ground, if you have more than .5 volts while trying to crank, there is a ground problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I will try that....
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
check the voltage from starter housing and neg battery post no change, then checked neg battery post and one of big post on starter getting 12.6 volts, then switched to other big starter post and get .5, then started it jumped up to .7 on that other starter post, does that help?, clicking is definitly the clicking I am hearing from starter itself
OK, recheck the post that the battery cable hooks to on the starter big post on the solenoid. Voltmeter one lead on battery ground post, the other on the battery positive cable post on the starter. Check while trying to crank the engine with the key. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did that also and see no change in voltage 12.6 volts
OK, let's make a test for the basic starter it self. Make sure the trans is in neutral, the park brake applied. Take a small piece of wire, and jump the small post on the starter to the battery cable post on the solenoid. The truck should spin over. Let me know what happens. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, i will try that thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok..... did that and nothing...

Do you have jumper cables?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes

Hook both clamps on one end to the negative battery post. Hook both clamps on the other end to the starter housing, and the engine block. See if it will crank with the key like this? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that's confusing, explain better, hook one clamp to neg battery post the other end to starter housing, then hook one clamp to neg battery post and the other end to engine block?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK hooked one clamp to neg battery post the other end to starter housing, then hook one clamp to neg battery post and the other end to engine block...same thing, loud click at starter
Can you manage to get the red clamps on the positive post and the positive battery post terminal on the starter? f you can, try and start it with the key again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

that worked, I don't belive it...so I need to change the red wire out to the starter, or just run another one correct?

The positive battery cable needs replacing. I would warn against adding another one, I would replace it. If you leave the old one, it's just another place for a short to happen. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do I ask for at auto shop or look for when ordering on-line, tried to search but does not come up with anything but body harness for back up lights etc...Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your answer