Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Certified Mechanic Ford Motor Co.
Experience:  18 years as a Ford tech and still going
3075798

2003 ford: LED lights are burned out on my cruise control buttons

Customer Question

The LED lights are burned out on my cruise control buttons on my 2003 Ford Ranger.
I know the airbag has to be removed to replace this unit (one piece unit for both left and right buttons). I certainly don't want to do something dumb and activate the airbag. Can anyone help? Thank.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Andy I replied 6 years ago.
yes this can be very dangerous, your supposed to have a simulator you hook in and deactivate the airbag system. Yes both sets of buttons will come together. I honestly don't ever recommend for anyone to do airbag work there self.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Andy I,

I guess I would have to say that I'm disappointed and not satisfied with your answer. I already knew much more than your answer provided from searching multiple site on the web. One of the forums actually gave a complete description with warnings for the removal of all components including the steering wheel. Still I was afraid to do it and though an expert from JustAnswer could walk me through it but guess I was wrong.

I had already seen an exploded view of the all the components of the steering wheel on another site and had priced the needed part from several sources. I don't really feel your input was helpful.

Expert:  Randall (Cheeko) replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will see if I can help,I am another expert, here is the information you need, thanks

Depower the system by removing the negative battery cable for one minute, this will make it safe for you to handle the airbag

graphic

graphic

Wheel

graphic

graphic

Speed Control Switch

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Experience: 18 years as a Ford tech and still going