John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

1998 Ford Ranger that wont start.I have spark,fuel pump works,new

1998 Ford Ranger that won't start.I have spark,fuel pump works,new fuel filter,with good line preasure.I have constant power at the injectors,thru the red wire but not the other even while cranking

Hi Customer,

I am John Mc, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

A few questions to start, please verify and don't go on memory as these are important.

1. With the key on and engine off does the check engine light come on?

2. If so does the light turn off when cranking?

3. Do you have a red theft warning light flashing rapidly?

4. Do you have a test light?

Thanks

John Mc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The engine light comes on with the key just turned and stays on while cranking ,but before I had this starting problem the engine light stayed on.There isn't a red light flasing and yes I do have a test light.
Are you positive the light stays on when cranking? This is VERY important.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it does but faint,this could be from a low battery so I will go and attach jumper cables and then reply again. be right back
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The check engine light stays on while cranking.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm back my computor crashed!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, now I want you to connect the clip of your test light to the battery negative. Now check both pins of one of the injectors, one should light the test light with the key on and engine off. If so clip your test light to the battery positive and check the other pin while someone cranks the engine. Let me know if the test light flashes or not,,, It should.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Everything checked just like you said.There is power to the red wire with the key turned on with the test light gound lead to the - side of the battery,Then I clipped the light to the positive side of the batteryand plugged the light to the other side while cranking and the test light started flashing while cranking

Ok, so far so good. Do the same thing with the coil connector. One wire should have power with the key on and engine off and the other three should have a pulse. If this is also ok then the next step will be to disconnect the fuel pump shut off switch and see if one of the wires has power for a couple of seconds when you turn the key from off to on. It should also have power constantly when cranking.

Let me know what you find and we'll move on.

Sorry made a mistake on that last post, you have two coils. On each one one wire should be power and the other two will get pulse like the injectors.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
While checking the other wires do I have to switch the clip on the test light to positive side of the battery.
Yes, one wire will be power and the other two on each coil will be ground pulse. To check ground pulse you connect the test light to the positive side.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went ahead and did it that way, anyway and everything worked like you said.The center has power withe key on and I changed the test light wire to the positive side of the battery and then checked each side while cranking and both sides pulsated

Ok, you also said you had good fuel pressure, what do you consider good? If it is at least 30 psi then you have fuel, fire and fuel injector pulse. The only thing that is left is engine compression. If you run a compression check and it is low then you probably just have a bad timing belt and you will need to replace it. If you need instructions on this let me know and I'll be glad to post the procedure for you.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

-

Feedback is very important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just before I replaced the fuel filter I took the cap off of the valve where you check line preasure and it just fizzled. After the filter was replaced I turned the key off and on 5 times ( i used a pocket size screwdriver ) i have fuel spraying out all over the place.If it was timing wouldn't i get some kind of backfire or popping which I don't.When this truck broke down, it started just fine ,went a short distance and just quit .

You are going to need to get a fuel pressure guage to be sure. These are around $20 at your local autozone or advance store. Once you check it if you have at least 30 psi then all that is left is the timing belt. On the popping and backfiring sometimes they don't do anything. We have done a process of elimination here we checked for fuel pulse, ignition pulse and now we are down to basic engine. You need three things for an engine to start. Fire, fuel and air. We have fire and fuel (if you have good pressure) so all that is left is air. This is where the timing belt comes in. This is pretty common on these trucks anyway.

-

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks John, you were right,I replaced the timing belt and it started right away.