Auto Tech1
Auto Tech1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years experience, Advance Level ASE Certification, Auto repair shop owner
30935437

1993 FORD: crank but wont start...glow plugs..seem to be getting fuel

Customer Question

I have a 1993 FORD e-350 DIESEL. It will crank but won't start. I have replaced the fuel pump, injector pump, glow plugs,return fuel lines w/kit.I don't seem to be getting fuel to the injectors. I seem to be getting fuel to the injection pump and that is it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Auto Tech1 replied 4 years ago.
Do you know if there are any Trouble codes present?
check for battery voltage at the fuel shutoff solenoid at the injection pump, it is a single terminal solenoid with a doulble red/green wire, which comes from the ignition switch. It will be 12v with the key in the on, or start position. If voltage is present, leave the key on, and disconnect and re-connect the solenoid. You should hear it click. If it does not click, replace it, let her rip. I hope this works for you, and I think it will provided you are getting the proper fuel pressure at the injection pump, and it's not comming out of the injectors. Thank, you and please don't forget to press the accept button.

Edited by AutoTech1 on 2/19/2010 at 3:58 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already done that when I replaced the injection pump. If I am correct on a 93 the cut off is under the cover of the injection pump, with the PINK wire being the positive+ , and the voltage should read at least 9 volts with key on.It it possible that the two wires might be switched.causing it to be off when on and on when off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could it be possible that the engine has somehow jumped time,

on top of the engine in the middle front, slightly to the left of center. The wire color is red with a light green trace. There is only 1 connector on the cut off solenoid, 2 red and light green wires come together on the harness side, there is no way to hook it up backwards, because there is only 1 terminal. I think you could be looking at another component. Yes the engine could jump time, but I think the injectors would still blow fuel into the cyl's.