AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

98 Ranger: 2.5L..4cyl..that broke the timing belt..slow

Customer Question

I have a 98 Ranger 2.5L 4cyl that broke the timing belt. Engine was runnung slow and made no noise, just quit. I installed a new belt and tensioner following instructions to the letter lining up the cam and oil pump marks with #1 cyl at tdc. Engine wont start. This engine also has notches stamped in the plate the timing marks are on, both on the cam and oil pump. Started over lining these notches up with the timing marks and the engine will fire up but runs bad., it sounds real retarded. Moved the belt a notch at a time advancing the timing and the engine will now start and run at speed but bad at idle. The marks are nowhere near lined up at this point. I have changed quite a few timing belts, but this one is frustrating. Any help is sincerely appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Do the cam and crank line up according to the diagram?

Edited by AMEDEE on 2/18/2010 at 2:39 AM EST
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
The marks should line up like this.

graphic

Edited by AMEDEE on 2/18/2010 at 2:43 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your immediate reply and the drawing. I have about had it for tonight. I will double check the marks again tomorrow. Just looking I want to make sure again I am on tdc. I see by your picture there is a third mark on the cam sprocket and it appears to be an arrow. If that is correct that puts the diamond mark approx at 12 o clock, and tha arrow at approx 5 oclock to match the arrow on the timing cover. I will let you know as soon as possible. thanks again
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

SOunds good!

I look forward to your reply!