Nathan Hosier
Nathan Hosier, Senior Master Gas and Diesel engine
Experience:  15 years experience on ford cars and trucks specializing in ford diesel, electrical, transmission

I have a 1995 ford E350 van, 7.3 diesel. It wont start and

I have a 1995 ford E350 van, 7.3 diesel. It won't start and the wait to start light won't come on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Nathan Hosier replied 4 years ago.
ok firs thing check fuse number 18 on the inside fuse box that is the power wire for the wait start next find glow plug relay check power on black and orange wire you should have 12v on that big terminal the other big terminal should have power when you turn the key on if not the 7.3l will almost never start with out the glow plug relay working also i should have asked first does eng crank over ok if it does check these things first let me know if you need further help ok thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I KNOW EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAID. THE FUSE IS GOOD BUT I HAVE NO POWER TO THE RELAY.THE MAIN CABLE HAS POWER TO THE RELAY.THERE IS NO POWER TO THE SMALL WIRE TO TURN IT ON.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NEED MORE INFORMATION. I PUT A NEW WIRING HARNESS ON IT AND A CAM SENSOR. I PUT IDM AND HAD THE MAIN COMPUTER CHECKED,NEW FUEL REGULATOR, BUT IT WON'T TURN ON. I'M PUTTING NEW GLOW PLUGS IN IT NOW BUT THEY HAVE ALL CHECKED OUT GOOD,BUT IT STILL WON'T CRANK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MY VAN RAN FOR TWO WEEKS AND THEN IT SHUT OFF AND I CAN'T GET POWER TO THE RELAY TO TURN IT ON.

i am misundestanding you the eng will not crank or just will not start and wait to start to start light is not working

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IT WILL OT CRANK AND THE WAIT TO START LIGHT WON'T COME ON.THE VAN QUIT RUNNING. I PUT ALLFUEL HOSES ON ITAND PUT A KIT IN THE FILTER AND A NEW FUEL PUMP ON IT. IT STILL WOULDN'T CRANK,BUT IT STOPPED THE FUEL LEAK. I INSTALLED A NEW IDM AND IT RAN FOR 2 WEEKS. SO FAR, I PUT A NEW ENGINE WIRING HARNESS ON I,HAD THE CUMPUTER CHECKED WITH THE IDM,IT CHECKED OUT GOOD. THE WAIT TO START LIGHT DOESN'T COME ON AND NO FIRE TO THE GLOW PLUG RELAY. IT'S HAD A NEW CAM SENSOR PUT ON IT AND I'M PUTTING NEW GLOW PLUGS IN,I HAVE PUT IN 4 SO FAR. BUT THE RIGHT BANK HAS CHECKED GOOD. THE WAIT TO START LIGHT WON'T COMME ON AND IT STOPPED RUNNING WHEN THE LIGHT WENT OUT. I ALSO, PUT ON NEW VALVE COVER GASKETS WITH THE WIRES IN IT. I'VE SPENT ABOUT $2,000.00 ON PARTS AT FORD SO FAR.

ok under the hood in the power distribution box there is 30 maxi fuse that runs everything your describing isn;t working the fuse is in spot u the most likely cause if it is blown is the fuel heater try unplugging the red and green wire off of side of fuel filter housing if fuse is not blown then i am out of ideas i will keep looking over wiring diagrams to see if i can come op with something hope this helps sorry i am not doing much better but i will not give up yet

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NATHAN,
I WILL TRY WHAT YOU SUGGESTED IN THE MORNING AND GET BACK TO YOU TOMORROW NIGHT.
THANKS,Customer
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NATHAN,
I DID WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO AND IT STILL WON'T CRANK.I PULLED THE GREEN AND RED WIRE OFF THE FILTER, TURNED THE SWITCH ON AND I HAVE NO POWER TO IT AND IT STILL WON'T CRANK AND THE WAIT TO START LIGHT WON'T COME ON. DOES THE WAIT TO START LIGHT RUN THROUGH THE MAIN COMPUTER OR THE IDM? I'M AT WIT'S END, I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING YOU AND I CAN THINK OF. ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS?
was the fuses unde hood ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I HAVE NO FUSES UNDER THE HOOD. ONLY FUSES I HAVE ARE IN THE CAB BY THE BRAKE PEDAL. ALL THOSE FUSES IN THE BOX ARE GOOD INCLUDING FUSE 18. THERE IS ONE MORE FUSE OUTSIDE BEHIND THE LEFT HEADLIGHT AND IT CHECKED GOOD.
i am not understanding are you saying there is only one fuse under hood there should be several fuses in a power distribution box on Lh side probably by brake booster that contain pcm relay idm relay and fuses that run all the eng controls just checking to make sure we are on the same page
the fuse under the hood should be labeled on the lid as the positon u check to see if you have 12v accross both terminals if you dont then go under steering column there is a red and green wire coming out of ign switch turn key on and check to see that there is 12v coming out of the wire in run position and start position if there is not then the ign switch is bad if you do have power there but no power to fuse then you have a open wire between the ign switch and power distribution box check the connector c212 Lh side of eng compartment big connector 76 pins hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MY VAN DOESN'T HAVE A POWER BOX UNDER THE HOOD. IT HAS AN IDM COMPUTER BOX IN THE LEFT FENDER BEHIND THE BATTERY AND A MAIN COMPUTER TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER. MY VAN IS A 1995 E350 DIESEL 7.3.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NATHAN,
I WILL TRY WHAT YOU SAID TOMORROW AND GET BACK TO YOU TOMORROW.I HAVE HAD IT TODAY.
THANKS,Customer
according to my ford wiring diagrams your supposed to have power distribution box by the brake master cyl if it possible take a picture of your van on the left hand side and email it to me at hhracing524@hotmail.com so i can see what we are dealing with i think maybe it there i think it is just below master cyl down a ways hard to see if you cant do that maybe you should take to dealer because my diagrams that i have are starting there if not you still can check the red and green wire coming out of ign switch also try to trace wiring from where it comes through fire wall from ign switch through that big connector cause they will end up at the box that i am talking about
Experience: 15 years experience on ford cars and trucks specializing in ford diesel, electrical, transmission
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NATHAN,I FOUND THE PROBLEM. AND I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR HELP. IT WAS THE RED & GREEN WIRE. IT WAS BROKEN FROM THE MIDDLEWAYS, TO THE SWITCHTO WHERE IT GOES OUT THE FIREWALL. NATHAN, YOU THE MAN!
THANKS,Customer