Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2001 Ford f150: replaced thermostat..coolant level..the cooler..gate

2001 Ford f150 heater not heating up, replaced thermostat, coolant level is up, the heater fills warm but not hot, the higher the fan is on the cooler the air. Someone suggested a mix gate may be stuck open... how hard to fix, and how much if I have a mechanic work on it?

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective Temperature blend door actuator. (CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS). Hope this helps you out.

Before replacing the Blend Door Actuator, make sure cooling system is full and there are no air pockets trapped in the system, also while the engine is running make sure both heater hoses are very hot, if one is cooler than the other suspect a plugged or restricted heater core.

If the hoses are only getting warm, (must be very hot) suspect a defective thermostat, as long as there is no air in the cooling system.

Make sure that there are no leaks also, any leak will lead to poor heating performance as well.

A/C Electric Blend Door Actuator

The A/C electric blend door actuator is located on the plenum assembly.

• Its function is to move the air temperature blend door on command from the control assembly.
  • The A/C electric blend door actuator contains a reversible electric motor and a potentiometer. The potentiometer wiper is connected to the actuator output shaft and moves with the output shaft to indicate the position of the air temperature blend door.
  • A 5 volt signal is applied to the ends of the potentiometer. The voltage available at the wiper indicates the position of the potentiometer. The expressed value of the actuator wiper voltage is sent to the EATC module and is compared to the desired wiper voltage determined by the EATC module. The control module then drives the actuator motor in whichever direction is necessary to make the actuator wiper voltage agree with the desired wiper voltage.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this something a dealer mechanic must fix, or can another mechanic take care of the problem?

Any idea of how much this will cost? I am looking at buying this truck, but I don't want to buy a bunch of problems. The current owner is very trustworthy, and volunteered that the truck has this problem. I need to know how much aprox. to fix in order to negotiate a price for the truck...

HiCustomer

No you will not have to take the truck to a dealer, and if you need directions Just (CLICK HERE).

As far as price is concerned, the labor is .08 of an hour, depending on shop rate per hour. And the actuator is less than $100.00.