Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

1997 Econoline: Van..4.2L V6..Engine compartment..heater core

1997 Econoline Van, 4.2L V6, where is the heater control valve located? Engine compartment, somewhere behind the dash or with the heater core? Is this a difficult part to replace?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.

Hello my name isXXXXX the shop manual the main heater does not show a heater control valve or auxiliary, what kind of problems are you having?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The heater doesn't work. Both hoses going into the heater core (passenger side firewall) are hot. The A/C works great. When I turn the temp knob to heat, no response. The blend door works fine,I can see it cycle under the dash. I sourced heater control valves from Internet providers, they all list them, but I can't find them on my van looking in the engine compartment. I guess I'm confused as to what the temperature knob on the dash controls if there is no heater valve. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, no leaks, blend door works, water temp normal, but no heat. Somehow the heater core is not getting hot water. I just had the waterpump and thermostat replaced, no effect. Maybe a completely blocked heater core? But why are both hoses hot? And what does the temp knob control? Seems to me there must be a valve inside the firewall.

This isn't making sense, and it's just a frickin' heater for goodness sake! I was hoping there was some trick with Ford systems.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.
I am still looking...............Thanks Steve W, be right back
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.

When you say you see temperature blend door move, this door is in the housing controlled by an actuator. Here is a picture of the actuator, try tapping on this actuator and see if it tries to work, if the hoses are both hot , you should have hot air if the door is in the right position, there is a possibility the blend could be broken or stuck inside the plenum. Here is a TSB I found check your build date and repair history and see if this has ever been done or if it even falls in the time frame. Hope this helps, Thanks Steve W, any more questions just ask.

TSB HEATER

Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.
graphic sorry forgot picture
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No actuator picture included with link, not sure what to "tap on". I can see the blend door operate from inside the vehicle, I don't think this is the problem. What does the temperature knob control? There is no response to moving it from hot to cold. When I move the vent/off/lower/upper knob, I can see the movement of the blend door mechanism, just right of the case that houses the heater core. So please answer two questions: 1) is there a heater control valve (that redirects water not air) in this vehicle and if it exists where is it and 2) what does the temperature control knob on the dash connect to ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, not sure where this is at, can someone at least explain what the temp knob on the dash no kidding controls? When I turn the thing to the red zone, what responds to turn on the heat? The blend door responds to the other knob.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.

1. The heater only controls air flow through the heater core, this is done electrically by the temp switch wired to the temperature blend door. This door is inside plenum, you can't see it, I wasn't for sure even if you can see actuator because they are hard to get to.

2 The temperature setting on the dash is wired to the blend door actuator all electric, these are known for going bad also.

I think the door you are looking at is another door, not the temperature blend door.

graphic

Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.

Here is some more info and description from shop manual.

Control System Outputs

Air Management Doors

The air management doors are controlled by vacuum control motors (18A318), a vacuum control motor and an A/C electronic door actuator motor (19E616). The air inlet and distribution doors are controlled by a vacuum control motor. The temperature blend door is controlled by the A/C electronic door actuator motor.

The A/C electronic door actuator motor provides a variable number of temperature blend door positions. The temperature control position energizes the A/C electronic door actuator motor, moving the temperature blend door.

Vacuum control motors are used on both air distribution and air inlet doors. The air inlet and panel doors use two-position vacuum control motors. The floor duct/defrost door uses a three-position vacuum control motor. Vacuum control motors are controlled by engine vacuum through the climate control head.