kevin
kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  7 years
16628555

1998 FORD CONTOUR SVT: SPEEDOMETER..DRIVEN..TIRE AND AXLE IS

1998 FORD CONTOUR SVT: SPEED SENSOR/ SPEEDOMETER PLASTIC DRIVEN GEARS IN THE FIVE SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION ARE CHEWED UP AND GONE. DRIVE GEAR FOR THIS MISSING OUTPUT GEAR SEEMS TO BE FREE WHEELING WHEN TIRE AND AXLE IS TURNED. FORD DEALER SAYS GEARS NO LONGER STOCKED OR AVAILABLE. MECHANIC CAN NOT FIND GEAR OR INSTRUCTIONS ON POSSIBLE REPLACEMENT IN TRANSMISSION WITHOUT TRANSMISSION REMOVAL FROM AUTO. ANY INFORMATION OR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, AND CAR WILL NOT PASS INSPECTION WITHOUT THIS REPAIRED. THANKS.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kevin replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately the speedo gear is under the differental carrier bearing and it cant be removed without pulling the tranny and disassembling it, the input and output shafts dont have to be disassembled but they will have to be removed, I can give you the instructions on how to replace this gear, I will just need a few minutes and I will send them to, Thanks
Expert:  kevin replied 4 years ago.
  1. NOTE: Make sure the selector mechanism is in neutral.

Remove the bolts and the selector mechanism.
  1. Remove the oil seals with the special tools.
  1. Remove the vehicle speed sensor (VSS).
    • Remove the trigger wheel and speed sensor (2.0 L engine)
    • Remove the vehicle speed driven gear (2.5 L engine)
  1. NOTE: Do not remove the locating dowels.

Remove the transaxle housing bolts.
  1. CAUTION: Do not damage the housing.

Separate the transaxle housing sections.
    1. Use a block underneath the lever to avoid damaging the housing.
    1. Separate the transaxle housing sections using two levers on opposite sides.
  1. Remove the differential assembly and magnet.
  1. Remove the selector rods and the first/second gear selector fork.
  1. Remove the gear selector forks.
    1. Position the fifth/reverse gear selector fork to the side.
    1. Rotate the third/fourth gear selector fork and remove it, then remove the fifth/reverse gear selector fork.
  1. NOTE: The reverse gear idler shaft remains in the transaxle.

Release the reverse gear idler shaft mounting.
    1. Remove the bolts.
    1. Swing the input shaft and output shaft to the side (the reverse gear idler shaft mounting should lift up).
    1. Remove the bracket.
  1. Remove the input and output shaft and the reverse idler gear.
  1. NOTE: Locate Stator and driven sprocket remover in the housing recesses.

Remove the bearing races and shim of the differential, and the input and output shafts using the special tools.
  1. CAUTION: Undo the clutch slave cylinder (with the release bearing) from the inside of the transaxle for reuse and remove it complete

Remove the clutch slave cylinder.
  1. NOTE: Locate the remover in the housing recesses.

Remove the bearing outer races from the differential, the input shaft and the output shaft.
  1. NOTE: Only if there is damage or leaks.

Remove the reverse idler shaft by loosening three bolts.
  1. NOTE: See previous step.

Remove the reverse gear idler shaft (Cont.).
Expert:  kevin replied 4 years ago.
graphicThe arrow is pointing to the speedo gear, there is a bearing that goes over that that will need to be removed
Expert:  kevin replied 4 years ago.
I also found a website were you can purchase the speedo gear.http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Ford_Speedometer_Gears.htm
kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 7 years