Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2005 F 150: trouble codes of p0340, p0344, p0345, p0349..ecu..restart

i have a 2005 F 150 5.4L. it is throwing trouble codes of P0340, P0344, P0345, P0349. they indicate trouble with the ecu. new units have been installed and it is repeating during the restart.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

it took me a little to find this but i knew i had seen the TSB on this before, hope this helps

TSB
06-19-12
  • DTC P0340/P0344/P0345/P0349 - 4.6L 3V AND 5.4L 3V
Publication Date: September 19, 2006

FORD:2005-2006 Mustang
2004-2005 F-150
2005-2006 Expedition, F-Super Duty
2006 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
LINCOLN:2005-2006 Navigator
MERCURY:2006 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 06-2-9 to add a production fix date for Expedition and Navagator and service parts updated.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2006 F-Super Duty and Expedition/Navigator vehicles built prior to 12/14/2005 and 2004-2005 F-150 vehicles, equipped with 5.4L 3V engine, and 2005-2006 Mustang GT vehicles, equipped with 4.6L 3V engine, may exhibit a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0340 and/or P0344; or 2006 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3V engine may exhibit a DTC P0345 and/or P0349. This may be due to a malfunctioning diode or open phase connection in the generator.

ACTION:

Perform a generator frequency test to diagnose cause of concern. Do not replace the generator unless a frequency test indicates a fault. This TSB provides step-by-step directions for performing a generator frequency test using the WDS oscilloscope function.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:USING THE OSCILLOSCOPE TO MEASURE PEAK-TO-PEAK VOLTAGE IS NOT A GOOD INDICATOR OF A FAULTY GENERATOR.

NOTE:ENSURE THERE IS NO BATTERY CHARGER CONNECTED TO THE VEHICLE.

1. Ensure the connections to the battery terminals, engine grounds, and generator B+ are clean and secure.
  2. Attach WDS battery cable clamps to battery/battery cables.
  3. Turn on WDS.
  4. Select the Toolbox Icon, (upper left of WDS screen).
  5. Select Oscilloscope and then click OK.
  6. Select Channel 1, Auto, Generator Ripple.
  7. Select Calculations, Channel 1, Frequency.
  8. Select Calculations again.
  9. Push the RUN/STOP button. A waveform should display on the screen.
  10. Start the vehicle and leave at idle (engine speed less than 800 RPM).
  11. Turn on vehicle loads (high beams, blower set on high, heated seats, defroster, etc).
  12. Examine the frequency reading on WDS.

NOTE:WDS CAN CALCULATE THE FREQUENCY AUTOMATICALLY. THE CALCULATED FREQUENCY IS LOCATED ON THE LOWER LEFT AREA OF THE OSCILLOSCOPE SCREEN. SOMETIMES THE FREQUENCY CANNOT BE CALCULATED BECAUSE THE WDS CANNOT RECOGNIZE AND MEASURE PEAK VALUES. IF THE WDS CANNOT CALCULATE THE FREQUENCY, IT WILL DISPLAY "INVALID" WHERE THE FREQUENCY READING SHOULD BE. THIS IS NORMAL IF THE RIPPLE VOLTAGE IS TOO LOW.

13. For a proper visible wave pattern, adjust the voltage scale and time scale until a good wave pattern is visible. Typically, a setting of 1mS/div and 100mV/div is a good starting point and can be adjusted as necessary.
  14. Run vehicle until signal is steady. Then select the "RUN/STOP" button to freeze the waveform.
  15. Determine if the generator is faulty based on frequency measurement:

NOTE:FREQUENCY IS DEPENDENT ON ENGINE RPM. PERFORM ALL TESTS AT IDLE OR FREQUENCY READINGS WILL BE INACCURATE.

1. Compare the WDS saved waveform to the sample waveforms in Figure 1. If measured ripple frequency is lower than 500 Hz, then generator is faulty and should be replaced. If generator is not faulty proceed to Step 16.
    2. If frequency calculation cannot be made by WDS, it can be calculated manually. See MANUALLY CALCULATE FREQUENCY. If calculated ripple frequency is lower than 500 Hz, then generator is faulty and should be replaced. If generator is not faulty proceed to Step 16.

MANUALLY CALCULATE FREQUENCY

• Count the number of complete voltage dips over a given range of divisions on the scope trace
      • Divide the number of voltage dips by the number of divisions to get the average voltage dips/division
      • Divide the value in Step 2 by the time scale (e.g. 1mS/div = .001 sec/division) to get frequency

NOTE:THIS METHOD OF CALCULATING FREQUENCY IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN THE METHOD USED BY WDS, SO THE FREQUENCY MEASUREMENT VS. CALCULATED MAY BE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.

16. If the frequency test does not indicate a fault with the generator, proceed with normal Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) diagnostics for the DTC. For F-Super Duty vehicles only, if the DTCs are still present after diagnostics, reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B38.11 and higher or B39.2 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. This new calibration is not included in the B39 CD. (DO NOT REPROGRAM EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR, F-150, MUSTANG, EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER OR EXPLORER SPORT TRAC).

PART NUMBERPART NAME
5L7Z-10346-CAGenerator - Standard Duty - Expedition/Navigator
7L7Z-10346-BGenerator - Heavy Duty - Expedition/Navigator
7L3Z-10346-AGenerator - F-150
6C3Z-10346-AAGenerator - F-Super Duty
7R3Z-10346-BGenerator - Mustang
6L2Z-10346-AAGenerator - Explorer/Mountaineer
6L2Z-10346-AGenerator - Explorer Sport Trac

TSB
06-19-12
Publication Date: September 19, 2006

FORD:2005-2006 Mustang
2004-2005 F-150
2005-2006 Expedition, F-Super Duty
2006 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
LINCOLN:2005-2006 Navigator
MERCURY:2006 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

3. Turn on WDS.
  8. Select Calculations again.

MANUALLY CALCULATE FREQUENCY

PART NUMBERPART NAME
7L3Z-10346-AGenerator - F-150
6C3Z-10346-AAGenerator - F-Super Duty
7R3Z-10346-BGenerator - Mustang

TSB
06-19-12
Publication Date: September 19, 2006

FORD:2005-2006 Mustang
2004-2005 F-150
2005-2006 Expedition, F-Super Duty
2006 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
LINCOLN:2005-2006 Navigator
MERCURY:2006 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

3. Turn on WDS.
  8. Select Calculations again.

MANUALLY CALCULATE FREQUENCY

PART NUMBERPART NAME
7L3Z-10346-AGenerator - F-150
6C3Z-10346-AAGenerator - F-Super Duty
7R3Z-10346-BGenerator - Mustang

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we have already ruled out the generator, I found this report by googling the codes prior to asking on this site. it seems to be leading us to the phasers at this point. not the project I had in mind.

cam phasers are quite an in depth job and also require special tools. If you have concluded that the phasers are bad(which they likely are as these are fairly common) it would be best to have the dealer persorm this job
Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can't say you helped because what you provided I had already found. I will accept answer to stop these e-mails