Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2006 Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer Edition in front end, driver

2006 Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer Edition in front end, driver side collision on 12/24/09. Repair shop had vehicle for over a month. Received it back in apparent, visual working condition. Drove it for not more than a week and now ABS, wrench and slide indicators remain on. Took back to repair shop to be told codes C1236, B1676 and C2769 are the culprits which may require replacement of Long Accelerator Sensor Curcuit. Is this ultimately known to be a fix the problem? Or, just another band aide? And, should I just brace for the worst and take to Ford Dealer at this point; anticipating a huge out of pocket expense?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

to start, anytime you bring your vehicle to the Ford dealer, you pay the $90 diagnostic fee just to find out what the problem is ,but for that $90 you DO find out exactly what the fault is and what is nessecary to repair it. Unlike some small shops, the dealer has the right tools and knowledge about that specific product and can tell you exactly what needs to be replaced to correct the concern on the first try instead of replacing a bunch of parts. I would suggest taking it to the dealer to have it appropriately diagnosed. My personal opinion, though not concrete since i cannot test the vehicle, is that the for the 1236 code it might be a cracked left rear axle tone ring, this is very common for these models , though could have cracked from the stress of the impact, the c2769 code is the bad longitudinal acceleration sensor ( Ford's term Sensor Cluster), likely damaged during the impact as this sensor contains G-force and motion sensors, or it could be a bad ABS module as well though if it is not sending the sensor cluster the proper information. Code c1676 refers to 'battery pack voltage out of range', which could possibly be a bad ABS module as well. Since the C1676 code is the lowest number code(besides the 1236 but that is an obvious cracked tonering) it is the first code to diagnose and could resolve the 2769 code. See the pinpoint test below to diagnose the concern or have the dealer perform the test

PINPOINT TEST C: DTC B1676 - BATTERY PACK VOLTAGE OUT OF RANGE

NOTICE: Use the flex probe kit for all test connections to prevent damage to the wiring terminals. Do not use standard multimeter probes.

Test StepResult / Action to Take
C1 CHECK THE BATTERY VOLTAGE
  • Measure the battery voltage between the positive and negative battery posts with the key ON engine OFF (KOEO) and with the engine running.
  • Is the battery voltage greater than 10 volts with KOEO and less than 18 volts with the engine running?
Yes
GO to C2.

No
CHECK the charging system.
C2 CHECK THE ABS MODULE VOLTAGE CIRCUITS FOR AN OPEN
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: ABS Module C155.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage between ground and:
    • ABS module C155-1, circuit SBB06B (BN/RD), harness side.
    • ABS module C155-8, circuit CBP18 (GY/OG), harness side.
    • ABS module C155-32, circuit SBB33B (RD), harness side.
  • Are the voltages greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to C3.

No
VERIFY that BJB fuse 6 (40A) is OK. If OK, REPAIR circuit SBB06B (BN/RD) for an open.

VERIFY that BJB fuse 33 (30A) is OK. If OK, REPAIR circuit SBB33B (RD) for an open.

VERIFY that SJB fuse 18 (10A) is OK. If OK, REPAIR circuit CBP18 (GY/OG) for an open.

REPEAT the self-test.
C3 CHECK THE ABS MODULE GROUND CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Measure the resistance between ABS module C155-16, circuit GD120 (BK/GN), harness side and ground.
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to C4.

No
REPAIR circuit GD120 (BK/GN) for an open. REPEAT the self-test.
C4 CHECK FOR CORRECT ABS MODULE OPERATION
  • Disconnect the ABS connector.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion.
    • pushed-out pins.
    • spread terminals.
  • Connect the ABS connector and make sure it seats correctly.
  • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.
  • Is the concern still present?
Yes
INSTALL a new ABS module.

No
The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure