Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2005 ford f150 the check engine light came on and

I have a 2005 ford f150 the check engine light came on and it died. It started back up so I took it to the auto parts place and they said the code came up T.E.C. stuck open then T.E.C. stuck closed. It is a 5.4 litre triton v-8
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Hi JAGUEST-92789946-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Can you tell me the actual code?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The auto store said it was tec stuck open then tec stuck closed
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Hi JAGUEST-92789946-.

What are they calling a TEC?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know the guy had the handheld computer plugged into the truck and told me that is what it said and he did not know what it meant.He just said it said tec stuck open and then tec stuck closed. He reset it and I drove it home and it didn't die and the engine light did not come back on.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Hi JAGUEST-92789946-.

Well if you can get me tha actual code , I can help you . I am not sure what he is calling a T.E.C.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We will call the auto store and ask
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Ok, I will gladly help you once I have a good idea of what you need.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There were three codes came up P2104 ,P2111, P2112
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

The three codes you have listed are all electornic throttle body codes and in most cases if you are having problems it usually requires replacing the Throttle body assembly.

P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Open
Description:This powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a greater angle than commanded.
Possible Causes:
  • Binding throttle body, stuck open
  • TAC motor circuits are cross-wired
  • TAC motor harness circuits are shorted together
  • Damaged PCM
    P2104 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Forced Idle
    Description:The TAC system is in the failure mode effects management (FMEM) mode of forced idle.
    Possible Causes:
    Diagnostic Aids:This DTC is an informational DTC and may be set in combination with a number of other DTCs which are causing the FMEM. Diagnose other DTCs first.

P2112 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Closed.
Description:This powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a lower angle than commanded.
Possible Causes:
  • Binding throttle body, stuck closed
  • Damaged PCM

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this something I can do myself or do I need an expert
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

If you are still having problems with it , yes you can replace it your self. I would wait and see if the code returns and if so then go ahead and replace it. I have enclodes the instructions.Removal and Installation

WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: The throttle body bore and plate area have a special coating and cannot be cleaned.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner and air cleaner intake pipe.
  3. Disconnect the electronic throttle control electrical connector.
  4. Disconnect the throttle position (TP) sensor electrical connector.
  5. Remove the 4 throttle body (TB) bolts and the TB and discard the TB O-ring seal.
    • To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in ).
    • Tighten an additional 90 degrees (1/4 turn).
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure

graphic

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs