Earl
Earl, Ford Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.
29257239

Procedure to replace the fuel pump in 2005 Ford Expedition.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Earl replied 4 years ago.

Hello

To remove the pump from the tank you will need a special lock ring tool OTC part #310-123 which you can find online for around $260.00

FUEL TANK

Part 1

Part 2

Exploded View

Removal and Installation

WARNING:
  • Do not smoke, carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
  • Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before servicing or disconnecting any of the fuel tubes or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.

CAUTION:

• Fuel injection equipment is manufactured to very precise tolerances and fine clearances. It is therefore essential that absolute cleanliness is observed when working with these components. Always install blanking plugs to any open orifices or tubes.
  • When reusing liquid or vapor tube connectors, make sure to use compressed air to remove any foreign material from the connector retaining clip area before separating from the tube.

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
  2. Release the fuel system pressure.
  3. Drain the fuel tank.
  4. If equipped, remove the four nuts and the fuel tank skid plate.
    • To install, tighten to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft) .
  1. Disconnect the two vapor tubes at the rear of the fuel tank.
  2. Disconnect the vapor tube and the fuel filter outlet tube forward of the fuel tank.
  3. Disconnect the vapor tube from the evaporative emissions (EVAP) system dust separator.

1. CAUTION: Do not support the fuel tank directly beneath the fuel pump mounting area. Damage to the fuel pump assembly can occur. Position a suitable jack under the fuel tank.
  2. NOTE: The location of the fuel vent hose is critical to fuel system operation. Note the routing of the fuel vent hose at this time. Remove the two bolts and the fuel tank front and rear support straps. Lower the front of the fuel tank approximately 25 mm (1 in) .
    • To install, tighten to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft) .
  1. Disconnect the vent tube from the fuel pump module.
  2. Disconnect the fuel pump module and fuel pressure transducer electrical connectors.
  3. Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.
  4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Wrench, Fuel Tank Sender Unit

Special Tool(s)

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Do not smoke, carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

1. Remove the fuel tank.
  2. Disconnect the fuel and vapor tubes from the fuel pump module.

1. Using the special tool, remove the fuel pump lock ring.
  2. CAUTION:
      • Note the location of the fuel pump alignment tabs.
      • Carefully remove the fuel pump assembly to avoid damaging the fuel level sensor.

Remove the fuel pump module assembly.

• Remove and discard the O-ring seal.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Earl, Ford Technician
Experience: Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.