lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2006 Ford F-150: 4.6L..it started dying when you came to a stop

I have a 2006 Ford F-150 with a 4.6L engine. Recently it started dying when you came to a stop. I don't know what is causing it. Pulled the air filter out and replaced it and also cleaned the MAFS with special electronic component cleaner. The wires are intact on it and it looked good. When I ran it after this it was the same problem. Seems if you idle it and then rev it a little it will die when it comes back to an idle. Now I am begining to think that the MAFS is faulty or I could possibly have a bad oxygen sensor. However, I was under the impression that an oxygen sensor would make a light on your dash come on. No lights come on the dash except the battery light after it dies which seems normal. Now I am stumped and do not want to buy any sensors that I may not need.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider,

~Has the battery been disconnected or replaced lately?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, as a matter of fact the headlights got left on the other night and the battery was completely dead. I charged it for a couple hours and the started and ran the truck for an hour to charge. When the battery went dead it was like somebody had disconnected the battery, completely dead.
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, since the battery went dead, the Processor lost its memory, so with the sludge build up in the electronic throttle body the processor cant relearn properly, there is a calibration update that needs to be done to the processor and then the throttle plate angle needs to be checked and if its out of range the throttle body will have to be replaced, there is a service bulletin for this concern and unless you have an extended warrenty that will cover the repairs it will be at your expense to have the repairs done, The dealer is the only place that has the ability to recalibrate the processor, here is a copy of the service bulletin, hope this helps.

TSB
08-18-2
  • MIL ON - P0506 AND/OR P0505 - HESITATION/LOSS OF RPM/DIFFICULTY STARTING/LOW IDLE RPM

FORD:2005-2007 Crown Victoria
2006 Mustang, Mustang
2004-2006 F-150, F-150
2005-2006 E-350, E-450, F-Super Duty
2006 F-53 Motorhome Chassis
2006-2007 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer
LINCOLN:2005-2007 Town Car
2006 Mark LT
MERCURY:2005-2007 Grand Marquis
2006-2007 Mountaineer, Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some 2004-2006 4.6L and 5.4L F-150 (excluding F-150 Heritage), 2006 5.4L Mark LT, 2005-2006 6.8L E-350 / E-450, 2005-2006 6.8L F-Super Duty (F-250 to F-550), 2006 6.8L F-53 Motorhome Chassis, 2006-2007 4.0L Explorer 4 dr, 2007 4.0L Explorer Sport Trac, 2006-2007 4.0L Mountaineer, 2006 4.0L Mustang, 2006 - 2007 4.6L 3V Explorer / Explorer Sport Trac / Mountaineer, 2006 4.6L 3V Mustang, and 2005-2007 Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Towncar vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: drive-away hesitation, loss of RPM on deceleration, difficulty starting, and/or idle RPM less than desired. Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0506 and/or P0505. These conditions may appear after battery disconnect, dead battery condition, or keep alive memory (KAM) reset. The symptoms may be due to engine deposits in the throttle leading to airflow less than desired.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 53.9 and higher or 54.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.
  2. Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.
  3. With the vehicle in park or neutral and A/C off, start vehicle and allow engine to reach normal operating temperature(greater than 170 °F (77 °C) coolant temperature). Run an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.
  4. While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.
    1. If ETC_TRIM value is 3.5 degrees, and/or DTC P115E is present, then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB), following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04B.
    2. If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.5 degrees and DTC P115E is not present, but driveability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal PC/ED diagnostics.

NOTE:VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A PCM AND TCM REQUIRE COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING. THIS COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS OUTLINED BY THE IDS. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE KEY CYCLE PROCEDURE WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE IDS PROMPTS, WILL CAUSE THE COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING TO FAIL. THE PCM WILL BE UPDATED BUT THE TCM WILL NOT BE UPDATED AND NEW FILES WILL NOT BE INSTALLED. IT IS CRITICAL TO FOLLOW THE IDS PROMPTS. SOME VEHICLES MAY REQUIRE SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT. REPROGRAMMING CONCERNS/ERRORS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE DATA LINK CONNECTOR (DLC) OR VEHICLE COMMUNICATION MODULE (VCM) BECOMING DISCONNECTED, LOW BATTERIES ON THE INTEGRATED DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM (IDS) OR THE IDS GOING INTO ANY TYPE OF SLEEP MODE, OR LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE. IF THERE WAS AN INTERRUPTION DURING REPROGRAMMING, MAKE SURE THE ORIGINAL IDS SESSION THAT WAS CREATED FOR THE VEHICLE IS NOT DELETED. IF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE SESSION IS NOT USED OR DELETED BEFORE THE MODULES ARE COMPLETELY REPROGRAMMED, FURTHER REPROGRAMMING ERRORS CAN OCCUR. THE MODULE RECOVERY PROCEDURE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AND IT IS CRITICAL THAT MODULE SWAPPING IS NOT PERFORMED FROM VEHICLE TO VEHICLE. TO REGAIN COMMUNICATION WITH A MODULE THAT HAS BEEN ERASED DURING REPROGRAMMING, RESUME THE ORIGINAL SESSION ONCE THE IDS IS RE-BOOTED.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
9W7Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 4.0L, 4.6L 2V,
8L3Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 5.4L
9R3Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 4.6L 3V Mustang Built After 12/7/2005
6L2Z-9E926-CThrottle Body - 4.6 3V Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer
9C3Z-9E926-BThrottle Body - 6.8L

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.