Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Technician
17254274

2001 ford escape: wheel drive..highway..the transfer case or the trans

Customer Question

i have a 2001 ford escape, all wheel drive, 6cyl. i was driving on the highway (in snowy conditions) about 45 mph when all of a sudden it started making a clanking sound, almost like a wheel bearing going bad. i was able to drive it to a shop and they say its either the trans or the transfer case. is this a common problem? if so, is it the transfer case or the trans? thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.

This is not a common problem as I have not located a tech service bulletin on it. There

are so many things that can make a clanking sound from drive shaft to suspension

and transfer case and transmission and more. I would take it to a exclusive trans

mission shop and for a diagnosis and ask that they call you with cost and for permission before any

repairs are done. If you had it in 4x4 when it started it is probably the transfer case or differential.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, thanks!
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Your very welcome. Let me know how it goes.