Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2001 ford taurus ,power windows and wipers and dome light stop

2001 ford taurus ,power windows and wipers and dome light stop working after half hour of driving. they start back after cool down. any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.
i have seen this concern several times before and it could be caused by one of 2 things, either the GEM module or the TR sensor. Since you have mentioned that it operates correctly after the vehicle has cooled down i am more inclined to believe that the TR (Transmision Range) sensor has failed since that component is bolted to the transmision and heats up as the engine does. The GEM module is located inside the vehicle and is bolted to the fuse box and isn't subjected to extreme change in temperature as is the TR sensor. I would suggest replacing the TR sensor. I will look up the R&R procedure and post that for you as well. The TR sensor is mounted on the top of the transmision under the air intake tube from the air filter and is mounted just under the shift cable where it mounts to the trans.

Transmission Range (TR) Sensor

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED
DescriptionTool Number
Transmission Range (TR) Sensor (MLPS) Alignment ToolT92P-70010-AH

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).

1. Place manual control lever (7A256) in NEUTRAL.

1. Remove engine air cleaner (ACL) (9600) and air cleaner outlet tube (9B659).

1. Disconnect electrical connector from transmission range (TR) sensor.

1. Remove manual control lever from transaxle.

1. Remove two TR sensor retaining bolts.

1. Remove transmission range (TR) sensor.

graphic

Installation

1. Make sure manual control lever is in the NEUTRAL position.

1. Install transmission range (TR) sensor and loosely install two retaining bolts.

1. Align TR sensor slots using Transmission Range (TR) Sensor (MLPS) Alignment Tool T92P-70010-AH.

graphic

1. Tighten TR sensor retaining bolts to 9-12 Nm (80-106 lb-in) and remove tool.

1. Connect electrical harness to transmission range (TR) sensor.

1. Install transaxle manual control lever. Tighten to 11-16 Nm (98-141 lb-in).

1. Install air cleaner outlet tube and engine air cleaner.

1. Connect battery ground cable. Refer to

1. Check for proper operation with parking brake control (2780) engaged. The engine should start only in PARK or NEUTRAL.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. IF THE TR SENSOR DOESN T FIX IT IS THE GEM UNIT SOMETHING I COULD REPLACE AS USED?
If you do purchase a used GEM module it will likely need to be programmed by the dealer to match the vehicle, the programming usually costs about $45 at most dealers
Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
REPLACED THE TR SENSOR ,SAME PROBLEM . WILL TRY A USED GEM W/REPROGRAM. DO YOU THINK MY GEM MAY JUST NEED TO BE PROGRAMED? WILL THE DEALER BE ABLE TO TELL ME IF MY UNIT IS DEFECTIVE BEFORE REPROGRAMING? THANKS GREG A.