John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2002 ford explorer: timing chains..cant find a diagram..timing marks

I have a 2002 ford explorer im replacing the timing chains i cant find a diagram to show me any timing marks.Does the keyway go straight up and down or about 2 o clock?
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer,

I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

Unfortunately you cannot time these engines without a special set of ford tools. The set of tools is about $400 from otc. Your best bet would be to ask a dealer tech to come to you and set it up for you. Offer to pay a tech around $100 cash and someone should do it for you no problem. You are going to need to ask the tech personally, don't ask a person behind the desk of they won't help you. I am posting the procedure out of the Ford manual to clarify what I am talking about.

Click here for instructions

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

-

Feedback is very important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

-

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have all that info i am a tech at a local repair shop. Im just confused on where to positon the keyway is it at the top of compresion stroke or at the bottom the keyway is straight up at the bottom of stroke. I have the cam tools just not the damper tool.
Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

Ok, if you don't have the damper tool tdc is straight up. Make sure this is as straight as possible as these engines will bend valves if off too much.

-

-

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The keyway straight up?

Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

Yes put the key straight up.

-

-

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks alot
Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.
Don't forget to accept if this was the info you needed. This is how get paid for my time and knowledge.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more question about the oil pump it has 2 lines on it were do they line up at
Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

That is not the oil pump. That is the balance shaft. I am posting a pic of how to time it.

graphic

-

-

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ya i realized that after i sent it thanks again have a good day.

Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

You're welcome! Positive feedback is greatly appreciated and allows other customers to see my job performance.

Thanks,

John Mc