Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

99 Lincoln Town Car: fuel pressure..module..(pcm, abs, ipc, air bag.)

Customer Question

99 Lincoln Town Car, cranks and doesnt start, 40 psi fuel pressure, good spark, good power to injectors, no ground at any injector while cranking. Tried 2 different scan tools and cannot communicate with any module. (pcm, abs, ipc, air bag.) Digital Odometer shows no mileage, just lines. (-------). I have good power and ground at the dlc. All fuses are good. The theft system seems to be working properly, light comes on with key on then flashes every 2-3 seconds. Any help would be great, Thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

When this problem happens (------), this usually indicates a bad instrument cluster. The theft system needs to communicate with the instrument cluster for the vehicle to start and if the instrument cluster is bad, the vehicle will not start.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the cluster is bad, should I be able to communicate with other modules? PCM, ABS module, ect.? Also when the key is turned to on, the actual mleage appears for 1 second, then goes to lines.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

If the instrument cluster is shorting out, it can pull all of the other modules down with it. When this happens, you most likely will not be able to communicate with them.

You could try to disconnect the instrument cluster and see if you can communicate with the other modules.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

You bet!

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I disconnected the cluster and still no communication with anything. Does the digital odometer run off of the bus-line?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
YEs... it should communicate with everything.