Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

95 Ford F250: 7.3 powerstroke..a bad oil leak somewear..turbo..oring

Just bought a 95 Ford F250 with 7.3 powerstroke and have a bad oil leak somewear under the turbo. Is this an oring and if so where exactly is it located? I would appriciate any help.

Hello, The most common place for these engines to leak is the turbo pedestal. This is the mounting base for the turbo. It is best replaced as an assembly. There is a repair kit available for it, but it usually doesn't last very long when rebuilt in field. Here is a picture of the pedestal. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What should this repair costs at a repair shop instead of doing it myself? What does the assemby include versus a repair kit? I could not see the picture probably due to my security software.

The turbo pedestal is the actuator for the exhaust back pressure valve. This is opened by oil pressure and closed by spring pressure, controlled by an electronic solenoid. The repair kit contains the piston and seals as well as the spring. The problem with rebuilding is that most of the time, the piston bore is scored and the new seals will soon fail. The replacement assembly will have the bore sleeved back to new condition. The repair kit last time I checked was around $200, the assembly is around $450 remanufactured. To replace it, figure on around 3.5 hours labor and add about 1.5 hours to try putting the kit in. The labor savings just about covers the difference in the cost and you get a much better product. Thanks