CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

p0316 2005 explorer

p0316 2005 explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 7 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The 3 trouble codes you have are for Misfire on start-up, Random misfire and a cylinder 1 misfire. Most common on the 4.6L motors is a bad ignition coil going bad on the motor and needing to be replaced. Every cylinder on your motor has its own ignition coil unlike other vehicles that have 1 coil for all the cylinders. What I recommend doing is replacing the #1 ignition coil with a new one, clearing the codes in the computer and then driving the vehicle to reset the memory. Cylinder 1 is on the passenger side of the motor, the first cylinder from front to back.

graphic

Edited by FordTechKyle on 2/7/2010 at 6:25 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So the p0316 code has nothing to do with the crank sensor?
It can be, but is very unlikely since you have the 2 other codes. Honestly, I have never seen a crankshaft position sensor go bad for that code. I am positive the code is p0300 and P0316 were set because of the cylinder 1 misfire or P0301 code.