Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2001 FORD RANGER: MISFIRE..PLUS FUEL FILTER..INJECTORS..MASS AIR

Customer Question

2001 FORD RANGER 2.3L
MISFIRE COMES UP ON SCANNER. NOT MULTIPLE OR RANDOM NOR A CYLINDER
HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE WE DID ALL THIS WORK AND STILL HAS IT.
WERE A SERVICE STATION AND A MUFFLER SHOP AND RUN INTO ALOT BUT THIS HAS STUMPED US.
DID A COMPLETE TUNE UP USING GOOD PARTS. PLUS FUEL FILTER,PULLED INJECTORS OUT THEY WERE CLEANED AND ALL OK,MASS AIR OFF AND CLEANED THIS WAS TAKEN APART TO GET TO THE SIDE YOU CANT CLEAN VERY EASY, HAD THE PLENTIUM OFF AND CLEANED RE GASKETED (ALL).
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I'm Chris, Thanks for allowing me to help you here on Just Answer.

You stated you have a misfire but not random or multiple nor a single cylinder, Which cylinders are misfiring and what codes are stored?

Does it act the same cold/hot?

Does it miss at idle or high idle or driving?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just says misfire and only under load like comming up a hill real bad strait area cant tell any problems
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ign. side on the scanner says missfire detected.

standard shift if you are in gear and mash the pedal it studders bad and then it catches up.

when you lock the cylinders in on the scanner they all are ok

Does your scan tool not bring up any codes like P0300-P0314?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thats what were saying no code# XXXXX says misfire.only on the ign side

its a good genis otc scanner updated.

thats why were puzzeled

the guy had it about 15 miles away last night and dang near had it towed in it was missing so bad.we did this work about a week ago it ran good when it left but this is what we had when it came to us to start w/.thought it would through a code other than missfire.

Did you install new plugs and wires and coil?

Will your scan tool due a power balance test to see which cylinders are dropping out?

Is the MAF since reading a correct BARO pid for your sea level?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes has a complete tune up that is what i said to start off.

scan tool is not showing any cylinder drop out like i said earlier we locked all cylinders in and drove it w/ me holding the scanner in the pass seat. no drop out.

maf we cleaned and have another here from one of our tecks and swapped out still no different.

good fuel pressure.

3 out of the 5 of us are ase cert believe me we have wrapped our heads on this one thats why we came to this site to see if there was something were missing it seams to be a ing problem then fuel.

You got me as well, you have done every test I would do and I have never seen a misfire not store a code or show up on a power balance. I am going to have to opt out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

understand that is why we came here,

we work on all types of vehicles and thought someone out here on fords may say here is something that happens and we havent ran into it.