Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

my 97 f150 wont crank/wont start. yesterday it cranked fine

my 97 f150 wont crank/wont start. yesterday it cranked fine but battery sounded weak, was hard starting due to cold weather. today I install brand new battery and although I got bright lights the engine will not crank at all. All I get is clicking sound. Now what??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

I would start with taking a 12 volt test light and at the starter on the small crank wire, test for 12 volts while you have a helper hold the key in the crank position. If you have 12 volts, you likely have a bad starter. In some cases, you can unstick the starter with smacking it with a small hammer but if so, you should go ahead and replace the starter.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a helper. Will have to try test light later in the day. I'll try the hammer tap now
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

If the brushes are stuck , sometime it will free it up but it helps to have someone trying to crank it if its the starter.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hammer didn't work. lights are still very bright overhead, doorlights and headlights so II'm pretty sure battery is 100%. still get only a click noise when I turn the key. Are there any fuses that might cause this problem?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Yes there is the #21 fuse in the under hood fuse panel.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
#20 & #21 were both same fuse (50). they both looked good ,I swapped them out still same click. Were starting to get heavy rain and I'm outside, will have to play with this later. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Your very welcome and if you need me later, I am here.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs