kevin
kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  7 years
16628555

We have 1998 Ford f150, that is leaking oil from the left rear

We have 1998 Ford f150, that is leaking oil from the left rear axle. It is a dark oil and looks to be comming from the point where the axle enters the housing. How do we replace the seal and fix the issue.
To replace this seal you need to remove differential cover.
  1. Remove the differential pinion shaft (4211).
    1. Remove the differential pinion shaft lock bolt.
    1. Remove the differential pinion shaft.
  1. CAUTION: Do not damage the rubber O-rings in the U-washer grooves.

Remove the u-washers (4N237).
    1. Push the axle shafts (4234) inboard.
    1. Remove the U-washers.
  1.  

Remove the two axle shafts.

Installation

1. Lubricate the lip of the inner wheel bearing oil seal.
    • Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This good, but we did not get the pictures.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Would it be easer to replace the whole differential vs. repairing it?

No not at all, the axle seal is a cheaper and easier fix, even if you had to take it to the dealer it shouldnt cost more than a couple hundred dollars, the seal is around $20 and the fluid is $25 a quart x3
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks like we are going to need to replace the left side axle, it is very bad. The right side looks ok, but shows some pitting, should we repace it too? What should I expect to pay for replacing both axles?
Pitting will cause noise so I think it would be a good idea to replace both, I would shop junk yards around for used axles, as for price on axles I will have to get back to you on that around 9am, I will look up the price at work
Through the dealer for a brand new axle your looking at $380 per axle. You would be better off looking for a used one, just make sure that you dont see any pitting and it should be okay
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is $1100.00 a good price to pay to replace both axle's?

its a little high but it depends if thats including the parts and fluid, if thats the price for new parts and labor then that sounds about right
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for new parts and included the an $80.00 tow. I look like we are good to go....Thanks for you help!