HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2003 Ford Focus SE Engine 2.0. Noisy Automatic Transmission. Help.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
When does it make noise and does it go away at all in certain gears? Is the fluid clean and full/bright red? Are there any warning lamps on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Noise starts and stops. It goes away in drive usually at about 20 mph speed. Had fluid checked at Ford Dealer. No warming lights on. Sometimes a big problem to put the automatic into reverse. Could it be a soleroid problem?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.

Possibly but usually it will have the OD lamp flashing on and off or check engine light on. A check for codes should still be done even if the lamp is off.Since it goes away at 20 it could be a bearing noise inside, planetary gear sets when they fail usually wont make any noise once you hit third gear. The ford dealer gave the trans a clean bill of health, how many miles are on it and have you had any other trans repairs done?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
50,000 miles on car. Engine lights is on when you turn the ignition key, but goes off when car starts.No transmission work done on car yet. Last serviced at Ford Dealer in Santa Barbara about 2,000 miles ago. Next servioce scheduled at 53,000 miles.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
But the dealer checked the fluid and said the trans was ok otherwise and it was normal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The Ford Dealer did not check the transmission. It checked the transmission fluid, said it was a bit low, added a small amount. The problem still continued after that. Can I check the auto codes to find an answer. My Ford Dealer can do this, but I also understand other auto repair businesses also can. Should I do this? Would it be helpful?

What else or what do you think many be wrong or can be done besides getting a new or reconditioned transmission. This would cost abot $1,300. What are your thoughts aboutthe possbile solenoid problem?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.
Most auto parts stores will check what codes are stored for free. Since the check engine light is on it is an area to start to see if the code is related to the trans.Cost of repairs depends on what type of repair is needed. If there is a solenoid issue it will have a code stored.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can you give me a list of Auto parts stores in Santa Barbara, CA (besides the Ford Dealer) that will do a code check on my car? How certain are you that these reports will be free? I checked with Auto Quest in Santa Barbara and this company said they no longer do such reports on the auto codes, but suggested trying an auto repair dealer (not Ford) for sscu a report. If I do such a report, will it reveal that one or more problems of the solenoids (I think there are 6) on the transmission are malfuctioning? Can you give me a summery of what such a report on the auto codes will show? Will the codes show other aspects of the transmission that are not properly operating? What if the Auto code demonstrates no mis-fuctionaing aspects of the transmission? What other probems could be causing a malfunction of the transmission? Could any of these problems be corrected at a nominal cost with out having a get a new or reconditioned transmission?Smile Thanks.