lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus and my headlights wont turn on.

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus and my headlights won't turn on. I checked the fuse under the hood and it checked out good. The Chilton's book I have doesn't appear to be accurate so I checked all of the fuses except for the 40 amp'ers. They worked one day and then the next night both wouldn't turn on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider,

~Does the Flash to Pass lights work?

~Does the car have Auto Lamps?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks lostrider for the quick response. I am not sure what the 1st one so if you can give me an idea what that is, I can answer. As far as I know the lights don't shut off on their own so I don't think it has auto lamps if i understand that correctly

Alex
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.
The Flash to Pass is where you pull the turn signal lever back towards you and the lights flash on or will stay on as long as you have the handle pulled back. Auto lamps is a setting on the head light switch that the lights will come on by themselves when it gets dark.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the flash to pass feature and the auto lamps I don't have. The head light switch only has 3 positions: off-park-lights. Hope that helps
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.
Ok, does the Flash to Pass work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Negative. They are not working either
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

that gives us the starting point, here is the diagram of the battery junction fuse box, fuse #22 is for the headlights, if you have a 12 volt test light or a Volt/OHM meter, need to see if there is 12 volts on both sides of the fuse, this fuse is hot all the time so the key dont have to be on.let me know

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just checked and there is 12.7v on one side and 0 on the other. I went from each clip to the negative on the battery
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.
Pull the fuse and see if its blown, and install another 30amp if you have one and see if the lights come on then or blows the fuse again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the fuse when I did the voltage check. I also did a continuity test on the fuse and it checks good. With the fuse out, shouldn't only one side be hot?

I am an idustrial electrician so I know alil something but not the specifics on a car. To save you some time, if you can give me a flow of what you think the most probable(s) are, I can take if from there.
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Yes with the fuse pulled you will only have 1 leg hot, the fuse powers the other leg, here is the wiring diagram for the head lights, follow the power flow, it runs from that fuse to the headlight switch then through the turn signal switch then to the lights, also here is the pinpoint test for the lights inop, if you need any other info let me know.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello lostrider,

Alex here. I found the problem with my headlights. The wire that comes off of Fuse 22 and goes to the headlight switch is open. I ran a direct feed to the r/y wires on the switch that go to the lights and the came on. I tested the switch too and it's working fine.

I was wondering if you can tell me where connector C221 is located. I have some tracing to do and it looks like a major portion of it is from Fuse 22 and C221.

I seen a large connector with a harness bolted to the firewall on the leftside facing the engine. I was wondering if that is it.
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Hi Alex, glad to hear yo isolated the problem, here is a diagram of the connector location and the connector pin out diagram,

graphicgraphic

lostrider, Ford Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you much lostrider, you're the man!
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.
not a problem, glad I can help, thanks.
lostrider, Ford Technician