lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

Directions and diagram to change a thermostat on a 2000 ford focus

i need directions and diagram to change a thermostat on a 2000 ford focus
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, here is the procedure, hope this helps.

Service and Repair

Removal

1. Drain the cooling system.

graphic

1. Disconnect the coolant hoses.

graphic

1. Remove the thermostat cover bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the thermostat.

graphic

1. Remove and discard the rubber seal.

Installation

graphic

1. NOTE: Install a new rubber seal. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  2. Fill the cooling system.

Draining, Filling and Bleeding

Draining

WARNING: When releasing the system pressure, cover the expansion tank cap with a thick cloth to prevent the possibility of coolant scalding. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: When draining the engine coolant or changing any cooling system components, it is imperative that no coolant comes into contact with the timing or accessory drive belt. If necessary the belt should be removed. Contamination of the belt may result in belt failure.

1. Relieve the cooling system pressure by slowly turning the expansion tank cap a quarter of a turn.
  2. Remove the cap when all the pressure has been released.
  3. Raise and support the vehicle.

graphic

1. NOTE: Drain the coolant into a suitable container. Open the radiator drain valve to drain the coolant.
  2. Close the drain valve when all the coolant has been drained from the system.
  3. Lower the vehicle.

Refill

1. Disconnect the heater supply hose from the engine.
  2. Using a funnel, fill the cooling system through the supply hose until coolant starts to trickle from the engine.
  3. Reconnect the heater supply hose.

graphic

1. NOTE: Make sure that the in-car heater temperature control is in the HOT position and the heater blower switch is in the OFF position. Make sure the air conditioning is switched OFF. Refill the coolant expansion tank up to the MAX mark (with the engine switched off).
  2. Install the expansion tank cap.
  3. Warm the engine up at 2750 RPM for two fan cycles.
  4. Leave the engine to cool down and then recheck the coolant level. Top up to the MAX mark as required.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.