FMT2282
FMT2282, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,ASE Master Technician, State Smog License and 23 years in the field

2004 FORD F 150: light comes..gas pedal..restart..check engine light

Customer Question

2004 FORD F 150 5.4 liter about once a week wrench light comes on and the gas pedal as you step on it does not respond will only idol then we shut off truck and restart and truck will be fine but the check engine light will come on and stay on for a day or so and then it wont do it again for about a week or so, Any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

There is a Technical Service Bulletin (or TSB) that explains the same situation you are experiencing. The TSB # XXXXX directs to a bad throttle position sensor needs to be replaced and the PCM reprogrammed. You need to have the codes pulled from the truck and see if they are P2106 and P2135. If you send me your VIN number,I will run it for you to see if your truck falls into the TSB. If it does, I can send you a copy of it.The TSB has a warning to follow the directions in the box to avoid damage to the TPS mounting screws. I will check for your response at work tomorrow. Thanks,Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Vin Number on F150 with throttle problem 1FTPX12544NA16333

Expert:  FMT2282 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,I had a chance to run your vin number.Because of the production date,your truck does fall into the bulletin. You need to have the codes read and see if they are the listed ones. If they are,the best thing to do is contact your local dealer and get this part changed and the pcm updated. You can change the part yourself but the pcm needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer. I am sending you a copy of the service bulletin so you can have the updated part number. In the new part box is an updated R&R procedure. I hope this helps.If you need anything else,let me know. Thanks,Chuckgraphic

FMT2282, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician,ASE Master Technician, State Smog License and 23 years in the field
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help you were very informitive i will get this done thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are we charged for this or is this a recall?
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 4 years ago.

Since this is a service bulletin there is a charge. Unless you have an extended service policy,it could be covered. The times you see listed on the bulletin are what a technician gets paid if your vehicle is still under warranty. If it's out of warranty,they will charge you regular price. That's why I sent you the part number.So if you wanted to replace the TPS at home and then just pay for the reprogramming,you have the necessary information to do so. If you decide to do this,make sure the updated replacement procedure is in the new part box.

I am glad you are happy with the information. Thank you for the bonus,it is greatly appreciated.If you need anything else,let me know. Thanks again,Chuck