A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

brake pedal sticking and not coming back up unless i pull it

Customer Question

brake pedal sticking and not coming back up unless i pull it back is a 96 f250 7.3 deasil.i put a new master and booster on and still da same problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Andy I replied 6 years ago.
have you bled the brakes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bleed the master before i put it on and bleeded it after i put it on and still no different.have a good pedal and great brakes but the pedal want come up on its own and keep the brakes locked until i pull it up
Expert:  Andy I replied 6 years ago.

Ok at the top of the brake pedal it rides on a bushing with a shaft that goes through it and i bet yours is binding or locking up on it. Look at the top around #1 and this is the area i am talking about. you could try to lube but it would be safer to install new bushings or replace brake pedal assembly. Please remember to hit the green accept button.graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its not that cause i lube that already and it moves free.if the trucks is not running i can pump it once or twice and its fine but with it running it dont come up on its own at all
Expert:  Andy I replied 6 years ago.
Well you may have a proportioning valve or something with the abs pump sticking and keeping fluid from returning, I would lift the vehicle and when it sticks see if any of the wheels can turn or if all of them are stuck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the wheels are free spinning when the pedal is up.and stops fine and brakes are fine.has a great pedal just want return.the pedal has no fiction and moves freely with the brake rod un hooked
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 years ago.

Does the F350 have a vacuum booster or hydro boost running off the power steering pump?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
vacuum booster and its a 250 if it matters

Sorry about that. I looked over the symptom chart in the shop manual. Make sure that the check valve was replaced when you replaced the brake booster and make sure you have good vacuum to the booster.

Here is the symptom chart I was looking at.

• Slow Brake Pedal Return
  • Excessive seal friction in power brake booster.
  • Flared reaction end.
  • REPLACE power brake booster.
  • Broken piston return spring.
  • REPLACE power brake booster.
  • Restriction in power steering return line hose (F-Super Duty).
  • CLEAR or REPLACE power steering return line hose.
  • Power steering return line hose incorrectly connected (F-Super Duty).
  • CORRECT plumbing.
  • Broken spool return spring (F-Super Duty).
  • REPLACE power brake booster.
  • Heavy brake pedal.

If your brakes are not dragging and they are working properly, you may have to add a retracting spring to pull the pedal back to the return position.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
shouldnt need a spring.they where working fine and let sit up for bout 2months and found this problem.has great pedal and brakes work good except from pedal not coming up now.replaced booster and master and no different at all
Well, I'll OPT out and let another Expert answer your question. Do not reply back to me or it will take your question out of the list.