Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL

1994 Ford Ranger XLT: 4 liter 6 Cylinder - Starter clicks...Replaced

Customer Question

1994 Ford Ranger XLT - 4 liter 6 Cylinder - Starter clicks - tap with hammer and it starts.
Replaced starter - tested OK at auto shop.
Still will not start. Battery test good and connection from battery and celinoid.

Any idea of problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the clicking coming from the starter, or the solenoid on the fender?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Starter
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
you need to check the power coming out of the solenoid, if you have afull 12 volts when cranking, the you have abad starter or a bad ground, Bench testing the starter does not tell you the starter is good, it must be on the car to be tested, a bad starter can test good on the bench, when it doesnt have a load on it, I suspect you got a bad starter from the parts house, this is common with rebuilt starters., if you can tap the starter and it starts, you have abad starter,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pulling and cleaning all connections. Battery is now low and need to jump start. Will get back to you in 10 or 15 min. And let you know results.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
let me know,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did I do correctly on payment. I had two different experts on the site sending me information. I clicked accept on both. It boils down to bad starter. Even thought this is the second one we picked up.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
yes, i got paid and i thank you,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You should have got pay.

The problem was a poor ground cable connection.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
great glad you found it,Tim