Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor
21409023

v6 ford escape 05 model missing under a load on no.6 cylinder

v6 ford escape 05 model missing under a load on no.6 cylinder . put a plug in a boot and a wire better but still gave #6 miss fire so I grounded the wire with a screwdriver to see what kind of fire jump i had it jumped twice then stopped thouht Ifound it when I grounded #5 it jumped 2 times then stopped then motor died what everI did it blowed alot of fuses now replaced.got fuel no spark Im lost any help would be appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer, I'm AL.

This engine has a coil for each plug, and it is mounted right on top of the plug. Did you replace the whole coil assembly, or just the boot portion?

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just the boot portion and the wire. I grounded with a screwdriver to see how far the fire would jump. It jump 2 times and it quit firing. So I gounded out number 5 cyclinder it also jumped 2 times and quit firing. But it blew a lot of fuses. I have replaced fuses. It would not turn over, but after I replace the fuses it would turn over but not start. I have fuel but no fire to any of the cyclinders.
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a 12 volt test light?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Each coil has 2 small wires at it's connector. #6 has one red wire and one orange with a yellow stripe. With the key on, check for power on the red light. Does the test light illuminate?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you mean the red wire instead of light?
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Yes, sorry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes there is fire on the red wire (Wire is hot with key on). What's next in this process.
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Check the other wire while an assistant attempts to start the engine. The test light should flash. Does is flash, or just stay on steady?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It stays on all the time with the key on even not attempting to start the engine.
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Right, on the red wire. Put the test light on the orange and yellow wire. WIth the key on, it will light up steady, but during cranking it should flash. Does it flash when cranking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

By pricking the orange/yellow wire with the terminal plugged up with key on we have hot on yellow wire. while turning the engine over the light is solid and remains solid. When removing the terminal from the coil pack the red wire remains hot on the connector terminals the red is hot but the orange/yellow has no fire with not plugged in

So, the yellow is only hot when plugged up

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Yes, all of that is normal except for the orange/yellow not flashing when the engine is cranking. This means that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is not grounding the coil circuit to fire the coil. The PCM grounds the coil circuit based on the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) Does your Escape have a Tachometer in the instrument cluster? If so, does it show some RPM's during cranking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It goes from zero up toward 1. Not bouncing up and down as you think, but it does move off zero. By grounding the plug wire out, what could I have damaged. Stay with is a little longer to problem solve
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
I was hopeful that the PCM wasn't damaged, but that is what it looks like. I have a few more questions though, and I'll be here until we figure something out.
Next question - Does the Check Engine light come on when you turn the key to on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes the engine light comes on when the key is on. It also was on before it quit running; its showing a misfire on number 6.
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
The fact that the check engine light is on means the PCM is powered up. The crank sensor is the input sensor that fires the coils. We verified the the crank sensors operation by observing the tachometer. We are certain that the PCM is not grounding the coils to fire them by means of the test light not flashing. We know the coils have power supplied by the red wire illuminating the light. I think we can be confident the PCM coil drivers are damaged. These are transistors in the PCM's circuit board. These were damaged when the # XXXXX coil was tested. I am so sorry. I was really hoping it was something else. The new PCM will have to be programmed to the vehicle which means that you'll have to send it to the dealership for programming.
I hope this has been helpful.
Best of luck, and thanks for using JA!
AL