kevin
kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  7 years
16628555

2000 ford taurus se: cylinder..start and the check engine lite comes

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Tarus SE FFV 3.0 L 6 cylinder. Sometimes when I get in the car to start it, it starts up immediately. Other times I get in the car it will not start and the check engine lite comes on. I have a scan run on it and the scan gives me a code of P0191 fuel rail pressure sensor ckt perf, and P1237 fuel pump secondary ckt. I had a fuel pump put on the car and a rail pressure sensor but I am still having the same problem. After having these 2 parts put on the car the car started stalling on me after I put fuel in it. I can start driving it after fueling and about 1/2 mile it will start missing, go dead and won't start back until after 3-5 tries. Can you tell me what can be the problem with this car?
Category: Ford
Expert:  kevin replied 6 years ago.
Can I have the VIN, There was a recall about this problem, I can tell if it applies to your car by the VIN
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The VIN is as follows, 1FAFP5526YA208702
Expert:  kevin replied 6 years ago.
It appears that the fuel pump and sender recall had already been done on your car when it was under warrenty, there is a special service message regarding the problem your having, 14187 MIL ON/DTC P0191
SOME 2000 FLEX FUEL EQUIPPED TAURUS MAY EXIBIT AN INTERMITTENT DIFFICULT TO DIAGNOSE MIL LIGHT ON WITH A DTC P0191 IN MEMORY. THIS DTC IS SET WHEN FUEL PRESSURE IS 20 PSI LESS THAN DEMANDED. DEMANDED PRESSURE IS DEPENDENT ON FUEL RAIL TEMP (HIGH TEMP. = HIGHER PRESSURE). (NORMAL NGS/WDS FRP PID PRESSURE = 35-60 PSI WITH ENGINE RUNNING). IT IS NORMAL FOR GAUGE PRESSURE TO READ 7-10 PSI LESS THAN NGS/WDS FRP PID. IF OK: 1) CHECK FOR LOOSE/HIGH RESISTANCE AT GROUND 302 2) CHECK FOR LOOSE FUEL PUMP DRIVER MODULE CONNECTIONS (LOCATED AT RIGHT INNER QTR. PANEL, BEHIND REAR SEAT) 3) PERFORM "HC" PINPOINT TESTS IN THE PC/ED MANUAL FOR ELECTRONIC RETURNLESS FUEL SYSTEMS AND REPLACE COMPONENTS AS DIRECTED. NOTE: WORKSHOP MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS MUST BE FOLLOWED TO PREVENT FUEL TANK, VAPOR LINE AND FUEL SENDER DAMAGE DURING FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT.

Edited by kevin on 1/31/2010 at 11:59 AM EST
Expert:  kevin replied 6 years ago.
This is another one.14041 GENERAL - INTERMITTENT DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS
SOME 2000 TAURUS/SABLE MAY EXHIBIT VARIOUS DTCS (P1233, P1235, P1237, P0191), AND/OR DRIVEABILITY/TRANSMISSION SHIFTING CONCERNS. THE CAUSE MAY BE WIRING THAT HAS BECOME CHAFED ON THE TOP OF THE TRANSMISSION PAN OR THE BRACKET THAT SUPPORTS THE CONNECTOR C140. (LOCATED BELOW THE AIR CLEANER BOX) TO SERVICE C140: RELEASE THE CLIPS HOLDING THE AIR CLEANER SECTIONS TOGETHER, UNBOLT THE TWO HALVES OF C140, AND THOROUGHLY INSPECT THE WIRING THAT ENTERS/EXITS C140. REPAIR IF NECESSARY.