SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2000 ford ranger: the 4x4 wont engage, and the o/d wont function

I have a 2000 ford ranger, and recently the 4x4 won't engage, and the o/d wont function. Any direction I should start with? Barry
HelloCustomer chock the wheels and set the park brake, Start the engine so you have full alternator voltage, have an assistant attempt switching the truck into and out of 4x4, while you get under the truck and tap lightly on the motor with a hammer and see if you can get it to switch. This shift motor had issues with corrosion getting in the contacts on the head of the motor, this corrosion would not send a correct motor position back to the control, and if the control does not know where the motor position is it will default back to 2wd, sometimes by tapping on it with a hammer will loosen the corrosion in the contacts and allow it to temporarily start working again, If this trick does work for you, you will need to replace the shift motor mounted on the back of the transfer case as it will happen again.