Andy I
Andy I, Senior Master Ford Technician
Experience:  14 years in dealership, ASE Master Tech= drivability, AC, steering&suspen, electrical, engine repair
29643268

Why does my 97 f150 temp gauge keeps going up and down?

why does my 97 f150 temp gauge keeps going up and down? Almost like it wants to overheat but in never run hot
Category: Ford
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked coolant level since thermostat change, if you get a air pocket in the cooling system it can make gauge fluctuate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
where was the coolant temp sensor located that you changed, i ask this because there are two temp sensors, one for the computer and one for the gauge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
under the hood
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Did you replace the coolant temp sensor yourself or did you have it done. If you did can you be more specific please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i had it replaced it was called a temp control switch it looked like a little plug it just pluged in
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
When you say it just plugged, they did have to unscrew it around the top center of the engine or did it just pop in and pop out. If your not sure thats fine to, i am just trying to narrow down.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but im sure what they unsrewed i purchased part at auto zone it was called temp control switch and it plug in

Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
please give me just a moment more, i am checking my resources for any technical service bulletins.
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
Is this the sensor.graphic
Expert:  Andy I replied 4 years ago.
You can take and ground the yellow wire with a red tracer and see if the gauge maxs out which would tell us the gauge and the wire is ok. You could check the resistance of the sensor and as it warms up the reading will change, this will tell us if sensor is good cause just because its new doesn't always mean its good. Please remember to hit the accept button
Andy I, Senior Master Ford Technician
Experience: 14 years in dealership, ASE Master Tech= drivability, AC, steering&suspen, electrical, engine repair