Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance

2002 Ford Explorer XLT: Interior light..manually

2002 Ford Explorer XLT ~76k miles. Interior lights/puddle lights do not come on when door is open or unlocked with the remote. Interior lights all work independently - the map lights and dome light can be switched on and off manually. Interior lights (dome or map) will not come on using the wheel to the right of the headlamp control. Door ajar light on display and door chime work as they should - for all four doors, lift gate, and glass (opened each separately starting with front passenger). Checked 15A fuse at position 17 on the passenger compartment fuse block. Removed the door panel on the driver's door and cleaned the contacts on the door switch. Switch and connector have continuity. Nothing seems loose. I also shot WD40 into all the door switches - nothing works so far.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.
Do you know if you have an early or late build date? Look on the drivers vin plate and see what our build date is.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
11/01 so I am guessing an early build date.
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.

Ok with an early build you have 2 relays involved. Both are on the back side of the interior fuse panel. How the system works is the GEM module grounds the coil side of the battery saver relay which provides power to the interior lamp relay which is also grounded by the GEM module which then provides power to the interior lamps.

Now if I understood you correctly you can manually turn on the interior lights at the lights and another question is does the glove box light work?

Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.
Do you also have an owners manual for this vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, all interior lights - 2 front map light, dome light, rear cargo light, and glove box light all work. Sorry, post doesn't seem to be taking... And I do have the owners manual and the Chilton.
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.

Ok if glove box light works then this eliminated the battery saver relay so you need to start at the interior lamp relay. Look on page 212 of your owners manual and it should list the relays there. The interior lamp relay is no.7, try swapping it with the relay next to it(rear washer pump) and see if this corrects your problem.