Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

2000 Ford Focus: Electric door lock does not function

2000 Ford Focus. Electric door lock does not function. The door is locked. How do I open the door to remove panel and work on it??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, based on your description, the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective door lock actuator, I am sending you instructions in pdf format on how to replace and to remove the door panel, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR

CLICK HERE FOR DOOR PANEL REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your guidance. The problem is that the door cannot be opened to remove the trim panel screws. The manual handle seems to work properly, but I suspect that the electric server down at the latch itself is not releasing the lock so that the manual cable will work. If I could get the door open, I could take the trim off and remove the unit and see what it takes to repair. Is it possible to send a direct 12v jolt to the servo and see if the door will unlock, or is that a bad idea?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Wow, this one is difficult, can you unlock the door by using the key?

Can you open the door from the inside?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are absolutely right... sorry. No, the key does not work and No, the inside door handle does not work.

Thanks for whatever help.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Does it have Keyless entry?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has keyless entry, but the owners lost their key and have just a normal key now.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, it sounds like ther is a problem with the CSM (Central Security Module). Located in the passenger side kick panel.

2001 Focus Workshop Manual
Door Lock Cylinder Functions

Both the driver and passenger doors can be locked from either door lock cylinder. When the ignition key is inserted into either door lock and is rotated into the lock position, the linkage moves to rotate a cam in the door latch unit. When the cam in the door latch rotates, it mechanically moves the door latch (in the door in which the key is being used) into the locked position. The other doors are locked electronically.

Keyless Entry

When a remote transmitter button is depressed, it transmits the appropriate command to the central security module as a radio frequency. The central security module receives the command from the remote transmitter through an antenna, which is incorporated in the central security module.

When the central security module receives a command from the remote transmitter, it then sends the appropriate output to control the desired devices. These outputs devices include:

• The front and rear door lock units.
  • Central timer module (CTM).
  • The liftgate release motor.
  • The right and left side turn signal lamp(s).

The central security module sends a signal to the CTM when courtesy lamp illumination is required.

Computer Operated Locks

Each front door lock actuator contains a bipolar motor that controls the lock and unlock linkage. The lock/unlock lever of both front door interior handles use linkage to actuate the lever lock switch located inside each front door lock actuator. Each lever lock switch remains in the unlock position until lock/unlock lever of the interior door handle is moved to the lock position. This action toggles the lever lock switch to the lock position. The central security module uses only one electrical input for both lever lock switches. The central security module cannot determine whether the driver or passenger door lever lock switch was actuated. Therefore, actuating the lock feature from either front door will have the same affect of locking all doors. Actuating the unlock feature will not unlock any other door.

The door lock control switches for both front doors also use only one input to the central security module.

Both rear passenger doors contain a rear door lock actuator that controls only electric lock or unlock of the door. Actuating the lock/unlock lever at either rear passenger door will have no effect on other doors.

The panic feature of the remote transmitter sounds the vehicle horn when the vehicle is not equipped with anti-theft. If the vehicle is equipped with anti-theft feature, a separate horn is sounds for the panic feature.

Inspection and Verification

NOTE: Make sure that the battery is fully charged before starting electrical diagnosis.

NOTE: Prior to carrying out the central security module Self - Test, make sure that the doors are open.

1. Verify the customer concern by operating the system.
  1. Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical or electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart
Mechanical Electrical
  • Binding linkage
  • Damaged linkage
  • Misaligned door
  • Binding lock mechanism
  • Vehicle battery
  • Remote transmitter
  • Unprogrammed remote transmitter
  • Fuse(s)
  • Wiring harness
  • Loose or corroded connector(s)
  • Circuit(s)
  • Door lock switch
  • Power door lock actuator
  • Central security module

1. If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
  1. If the diagnostic tool does not power up:
    • check that the program card is correctly installed.
    • check the connections to the vehicle.
    • check the ignition switch is in position II.
    • If the diagnostic tool still does not power up, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.
  1. Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
    • CKT914, CKT915 or CKT70 = ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOTEQUIP.
    • NO RESP/NOT EQUIP for central security module,
    • SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs, and carry out the self-test diagnostics for the central security module.
  1. If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the Central Security Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.
  1. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To be honest, I'm not sure what to do with the last post. :-( I'm guessing that I would need something other than an OBII reader.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Yes, you will need a NGS (New Generation Star) scan tool or equivalent.
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Grrrrr...... Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome, Sorry :(