Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor

Have a 2006 Ford 500 that has clunking noise coming from front

Have a 2006 Ford 500 that has clunking noise coming from front suspension on washboard roads.
Please help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer, I'm AL

Most often a noise like this comes from the sway bar links, not the bushings. Here is a picture of the suspension. The bushings are #11. The links are #12.

You may be able to feel excessive play in the links if you raise the car up and wiggle the ball and socket joints at either end of the links, but your description sound like this issue.
I can give you some direction if you intend to replace them yourself. Will you be doing the work yourself?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I will repair this myself. The sway bar links were replaced and they seem tight now, noise still there. Ball joints seem tight. I suspect the internal parts of the struts are loose and clunking. Someone suggested the strut bearing. Any comments.
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 6 years ago.
Can you make the noise by bouncing up and down on the bumper?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No the car must be driven.
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 6 years ago.
Strut bearings could cause a clunk noise, but usually they cause a grinding noise when turning. I would look more toward the bushings and the platform insulator. When you do this, pay close attention to 8,7, and 4 in this diagram.
Best of luck