Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

I have a 2006 ford f350 6.0 diesel. It very hard to start from

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ford f350 6.0 diesel. It very hard to start from a cold start and it smokes and lacks power until the engine gets hot.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

It sounds like you have what is becoming a common problem with the later 6.0l engines. The FICM(fuel injection control module) is failing,Ford claims that all the calibration updates that have been downloaded into this module have damaged the internal voltage regulator and when it is cold the module cannot supply enough voltage to operate the injectors properly.To repair you need to install and rpogram a new FICM.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about the exhaust leak and the bubles blowing around it
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
The exhaust leak may be just a matter of snugging up the manifold bolts,there is always a certain amount of water vapor in the exhaust on a diesel when they first start,if you are not getting fumes in the cab then it really isnt anything to worry about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have replace just about everything on this truck. The FICM solved my starting problem now I am having an acceleration problem. The truck starts and idles fine but it will not accelerate. It sputters and jerk through the fear changes and does not want to pick up speed not to mention the loss of power. I just put a new turbo on. I have also replaced two injectors, PCM, EGR, ICP, air filter, oil, fuel filters, and probably a few more things. Can you please tell me what is wrong with this truck. It will be worth what ever it cost. Thanks Robert.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
After what you have replaced,I would say that it is one or more injectors starting to fail under load,this can be checked by having a power balance test run on th e engine when it is first started cold,unfortunately this means taking it in to a dealer as only the Ford IDS scan tool will run this test.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is something I really hate to do. I have got nothing headaches from the dealers. I just got it back from them. They told me my truck was fixed after replacing the PCM and #7 injector. Truck still running the exact same way. I guess I will try another dealer.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
From experience that is the best way to find bad injectors,otherwise they are just throwing parts at it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yeah thats exactly what they have been doing including myself. I just replaced the turbo yesterday. Could it be the fuel pump is weak or maybe the catalyst convertor is clogged.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.

Yes it could be either of these,the fuel pump needs to be physically tested for pressure and restriction, the plugged cat can be checked by checking the EBP pressure with a scan tool,with the truck in park the engine running at wide open throttle the pressure should never be over 36.5psi.