ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Fords. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

Where is the (shift control solenoid) located on a 94 ford f150?

Customer Question

where is the (shift control solenoid) located on a 94 ford f150?
Category: Ford
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for asking.. Shift solenoids are in the valve body of the transmission..
What seems to be the problem with your transmission.. acting funny on the 3-4 upshift?
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Fords. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The problem is intermitent. The check engine light will come on.for a while and then the light will go out and the transmission will slip for a whileand not shift. some days it will work fine and other days it will act up. But the problem is getting worse. If in fact the problem is the shift control, is it just a matter of dropping the pan and replacing the solonoid? If so I do not see how the solenoids themselves are protected from trans fluid. Are they sealed in something. I had one mechanic tell me to check the valve body bolts also because this can cause the trans to slip also. When I first start the truck in the morning the truck runs fine. But if i stop somewhere and cut off the engine and then restart it the problem starts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i start the truck in the morning its fine. But if i stop somewhere and shut off the engine and restart this is when the problem starts. The check engine light will come on for a while and then when the light goes out the trans will start slipping. This will last for a while and the it will stop. But the problem is getting worse each day. if in fact these solenoids are located in the valve body, is it just a matter of dropping the pan and changing the part? These solenoids must be protected from the fluid somehow because the coils are exposed. I was also told to check the valve body bolts to make sure that they are tight because this could cause this problem also.
I was putting this copy of a service bulletin together for you.. Click this link.. it sounds like it might apply to your situation.. but we need to get the codes out uof the system to see if they point us there.. Here is a link to another site that will show you how to pull and read the codes on your truck, though...
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
Let me know the codes after you pull them, following those instructions..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could one of the two items that i described be the possible problem? And if so can i access the valve body and solenoids by dropping the pan?
yes, you drop the pan to get to all of that..
The ones that you can get to from the outside of the pan are usually on Hondas..