RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience

My 2007 Ford Focus set off the airbag light today. The car

My 2007 Ford Focus set off the airbag light today. The car has never been hit before. What would cause this. I'm just out of warranty at 42,000 miles.

Does the lamp flash or just come on and stay on ? Could i get your vin # XXXXX would like to check the warranty history on your car ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The lamp stays on constantly. Vin # XXXXX XXXXX

Ok I do have some positive information for you, typically the warranty on safety items covers beyond the base 3year/ 36000 usually i believe it is at least 5year/ 50000 miles. So this is good news for you. Unfortunately your system needs scanned with a scan tool to retrieve the codes that are turning on the lamp, this will give us a diagnostic path to follow. Once the codes are retrieved and the failure determined then we can check the warranty coverage for certain on the failed component. There are some common wiring chaffing issues on the focus but no other common restraint failures. I would advise contacting the dealer and ask them about the coverage . You will likely need to commit to a diagnostic charge if indeed the fault is not a covered component.