John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2001 ford ranger: dohc..overheating..new waterpump, new radiator

Customer Question

2001 ford ranger, 2.3 dohc. overheating, new electric thermostat, new waterpump, new radiator. has only 30000 miles. top rad. hose hot, bottom cold. codes are heat temp high.no leaks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

The only thing you haven't replaced is the fan clutch. This can definately cause your problem. Good job on checking the hc in the coolant bottle, this really helps narrow it down.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

-

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey john, thanks for the reply. i want to add i did follow mitchells bleeding procedures that took about half hour running at certin high idle speeds, i think it was 3000 rpm for a certin amount of time, then it wanted 4000 rpm, but i could not meet that cause of rev limiter. shut car down let sit for a period of time, and fill. all during this time the car did not over heat. test drove and overheated within 3 blocks, half mile or so.thought we had air in system and redid procedure. tomorrow i will ck fan procedure. but even if i had a fan not coming on wouldnt my lower rad. hose get warm? thought may had blockage in block thru a water jacket like when people used to knock freeze thu and not take it out.i guess i i could ck with infored gun at certin points of block.i have not ck for flow thu block yet. dont know how to ck this yet cause of how trermostat and waterpump are located. tryed to find procedures on flow off of thermostat housing thru a by pass hose but found nothing.( like volkwagons, water cooled motors]. With this added info. do you still think fan?
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.

I have had very few problems with these engines. One of the few things I have replaced is a couple of fan clutches. I have never seen a blockage in the block on one of these. It would have to be a large blockage to get an overheat because there are pretty large water jackets on both sides of the engine. I think it is very possible that the fan clutch is the problem. Also I don't know if it is possible but make sure the fan isn't on backwards. Another thing to check is if the condenser is blocked with trash, mud or grass seeds. This can also cause overheat problems.

-

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey john can i get back to u tomorrow when i'm at work. thanks.
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.
Ok, glad to help.