Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 ford escape: liter engine..Engine loses power..egr valve..cracked

Customer Question

Have 2003 ford escape with 3 liter engine. Engine loses power, especially going uphill. Egr valve was cracked and I replaced it. Still had same problem. Checked engine code with pocket scanner and i showed code 1405. So replaced sensor and code no longer shows on scanner but engine still has no power. suspect could be blown catalytic converter which is still under federal warranty. Could use any advice
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The code P1405 is in most case set due to a bad DPFE sensor, that being said a plugged cat converter will also cause excessive back pressure and a major loss of power as well. If you suspect the cats are plugged, try loosing the exhaust pipes at the manifolds till you have a good leak and then take it out for a ride and see if the power is back, if so then the cats are plugged.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I loosen the exhaust it would probably void the warranty on the couverter. there is a federally mandated warranty of 8 yrs or 80,000 miles. My escape currently has 77,99 miles on it. The EGr valve had a large hole in it..
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

If the valve had a large hole then you are likely correct, take it in as back pressure would have caused a hole in the Valve.