Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

My Lincoln Navigator 2003 has the same problem-- Airbag light

My Lincoln Navigator 2003 has the same problem-- Airbag light (on dashboard) flashes 4 times, then 2 times. After a while, light stays on. I checked the mounting. I am not sure what angle it should be, but it is upright. I noticed some corrosion where the wire connects, could that be the problem? If so, how to fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Can you give me the VIN number to look up the correct information?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
5LMFU28R03LJ39358
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Without a scan tool to run the codes to figure out if this is a hard fault all we can do is assume it is and run those pinpoint test. How comfortable are you running test on the air bag system? Do you have a volt/ohm meter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a 7-Function multimeter.
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

ok first remove the battery cable and let the truck set for 10 -15 min to let the back up power to the airbag system drain down.

J44 INSPECT THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR MOUNTING, MOUNTING BRACKET AND MOUNTING SURFACE
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Depower the system. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section.
  • Inspect the front impact severity sensor mounting and make sure that the retaining bolt is fully seated and tightened correctly.
  • Remove the front impact severity sensor. Refer to Front Impact Severity Sensor in this section.
  • Visually inspect the front impact severity sensor, mounting bracket and mounting surface for damage, corrosion or dirt.
  • Was a significant amount of corrosion or dirt found, or was the front impact severity sensor mounting bracket attached to the mounting surface incorrectly or were the front impact severity sensor bolts not fully seated and tightened correctly?
Yes
CLEAN, TIGHTEN bolt or REPAIR the mounting surface as necessary. REINSTALL the front impact severity sensor. GO to J56 .

No
GO to J45.
J45 INSTALL THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR AND CARRY OUT THE ON-DEMAND SELF TEST
  • Clean and repair the mounting surface as necessary.
  • Clean the front impact severity sensor mounting bolt.
  • Install the front impact severity sensor. Refer to Front Impact Severity Sensor.
  • Repower the system. Do not prove out the system at this time. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: On-Demand Self Test.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Flag DTC B2296.
  • Retrieve and record any flagged faults for use later in this pinpoint test.
  • Was DTC B2296 retrieved during the on-demand self test?
Yes
GO to J46.

No
Fault corrected. GO to J56 .
J46 CHECK THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT 618 (VT/LG) FOR HIGH RESISTANCE
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: Front Impact Severity Sensor C177.
  • Measure the resistance between front impact severity sensor C177 pin 1, circuit 618 (VT/LG), harness side and front impact severity sensor case ground.
  • Is the resistance less than 100 ohms?
Yes
GO to J48.

No
GO to J47.
J47 CLEAN THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE AND CARRY OUT THE ON-DEMAND SELF-TEST
  • Remove the front impact severity sensor. Refer to Front Impact Severity Sensor.
Yes
GO to J48.

No
Fault corrected. GO to J56 .
J48 CHECK CIRCUIT 617 (PK/OG) AND CIRCUIT 618 (VT/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND BETWEEN THE RCM AND THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: RCM C310a.
  • Disconnect: RCM C310b.
  • Measure the resistance between front impact severity sensor C177 pin 2, circuit 617 (PK/OG), harness side and ground; and between front impact severity sensor C177 pin 1, circuit 618 (VT/LG), harness side and ground.

• Are the resistances greater than 1,000,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to J49.

No
REPAIR circuit 617 (PK/OG) or circuit 618 (VT/LG). GO to J56 .
J49 CHECK CIRCUIT 617 (PK/OG) AND CIRCUIT 618 (VT/LG) FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE BETWEEN THE RCM AND THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage resistance between front impact severity sensor C177 pin 2, circuit 617 (PK/OG), harness side and ground; and between front impact severity sensor C177 pin 1, circuit 618 (VT/LG), harness side and ground.

• Are the voltages less than 0.2 volt?
Yes
GO to J50.

No
J50 CHECK CIRCUIT 617 (PK/OG) FOR AN OPEN BETWEEN THE RCM AND THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Measure the resistance between RCM C310b pin 19, circuit 617 (PK/OG), harness side and front impact severity sensor C177 pin 2, circuit 617 (PK/OG), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 0.5 ohm?
Yes
GO to J51.

No
REPAIR circuit 617 (PK/OG). GO to J56 .
J51 CHECK CIRCUIT 618 (VT/LG) FOR AN OPEN BETWEEN THE RCM AND THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR
  • Measure the resistance between RCM C310b pin 20, circuit 618 (VT/LG), harness side and front impact severity sensor C177 pin 1, circuit 618 (VT/LG), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 0.5 ohm?
Yes
GO to J52.

No
REPAIR circuit 618 (VT/LG). GO to J56 .
J52 CHECK CIRCUIT 617 (PK/OG) FOR A SHORT TO CIRCUIT 618 (VT/LG) BETWEEN THE RCM AND THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR
  • Measure the resistance between C177 pin 2, circuit 617 (PK/OG), harness side and the front impact severity sensor C177 pin 1, circuit 618 (VT/LG), harness side.

• Is the resistance greater than 1,000,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to J53.

No
REPAIR circuits 617 (PK/OG) and circuit 618 (VT/LG). GO to J56 .
J53 CHECK THE FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR
  • Connect: RCM C310a.
  • Connect: RCM C310b.
  • Install a known good front impact severity sensor.
  • For vehicles equipped with a 60/40 split bench seat, connect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
  • Were any faults flagged against the front impact severity sensor?
Yes
INSTALL the original front impact severity sensor. GO to J54 .

No
Fault corrected. GO to J56 .
J54 CONFIRM THE RCM FAULT

NOTE: Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tools, sensor electrical connectors, and the RCM electrical connector are connected before carrying out the on-demand self test. If not, erroneous DTCs will be recorded.

• Ignition OFF.
  • Connect: Impact Sensors.
  • Connect: RCM C310a.
  • Connect: RCM C310b.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Retrieve and record any flagged faults.
Yes
If a "?" was flagged by the scan tool, CARRY OUT the entire pinpoint test.

INSTALL a new RCM. GO to J56 .

No
CHECK for causes of the intermittent fault. ATTEMPT to recreate the hard fault by flexing the wire harness and cycling the ignition key frequently. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to J56 .
J55 CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT FAULT
  • Ignition OFF.
  • If DTC B2296 is retrieved during the on-demand self test, retrieve and record any flagged faults.
Yes
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. The fault cannot be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the on-demand self test.

If a flagged fault of "?" was recorded, multiple faults exist and the entire pinpoint test must be carried out.

For first row driver side impact (F_D_SEN) sensor with a mounting/communications (COMM) fault, GO to J2 .

For first row driver side impact sensor (F_D_ SEN) with an internal fault (INT) fault, INSTALL a new first row driver side impact sensor. REFER to Side Impact Sensor - Front Row in this section. GO to J56 .

For first row passenger side impact sensor (F_P_ SEN) with a mounting/communications (COMM) fault, GO to J13 .

For first row passenger side impact sensor (F_P_ SEN) with an internal fault (INT) fault, INSTALL a new first row passenger side impact sensor. REFER to Side Impact Sensor - Front Row in this section. GO to J56 .

For second row driver side impact sensor (D_2_SEN) with a mounting/communication (COMM) fault, GO to J24 .

For second row driver side impact sensor (D_2_ SEN) with an internal (INT) fault, INSTALL a new second row driver side impact sensor. REFER to Side Impact Sensor - Second Row in this section. GO to J56 .

For second row passenger side impact sensor (P_2_ SEN) with a mounting /communications (COMM) fault, GO to J34 .

For second row passenger side impact sensor (P_2_SEN) with an internal (INT) fault, INSTALL a new second row passenger side impact sensor. REFER to Side Impact Sensor - Second Row in this section. GO to J56 .

For front impact severity sensor (FNT_SEN) with a mounting/communications (COMM) fault, GO to J44 .

For front impact severity sensor (FNT_SEN) with an internal fault (INT) fault, INSTALL a new front impact severity sensor. REFER to Front Impact Severity Sensor in this section. GO to J56 .

No
VISUALLY INSPECT the affected impact sensor, mounting brackets and mounting surface for damage, corrosion or dirt. INSPECT the wiring, terminals and connectors for damage, corrosion or dirt. CHECK for causes of the intermittent fault. ATTEMPT to recreate the hard fault by flexing the wire harness and cycling the ignition key frequently. ACTIVATE other systems in the same wire harness. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to J56 .
J56 CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL DTCs
  • Refer to the continuous DTCs recorded during Step J1.
  • Were any continuous DTCs retrieved during Step J1?
Yes
Do not clear any DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved. GO to the Restraints Control Module (RCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Table in this section for pinpoint test direction.

No
RECONNECT the system. If previously directed to deactivate the system, REACTIVATE the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deactivation and Reactivation in this section. REPOWER the system. REFER to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in this section. PROVE OUT the system. CLEAR all DTCs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I will do this test, but what is the best recommended solution to clean the corrosion?
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

Were is the corrosion if it is in a connector than get some electrical contact cleaner.If it is on the bracket than sandpaper.It has to have a clean ground.

Tim, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing. I see a sensor between the grill abd the radiator mounted on a plastic cover over the frame. The sensor looks like some kind of a nasal drug bottle. AM I correct?