Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

98 f150: blows..i replaced thermostat. coolant level is good.

my 98 f150 blows lukewarm air. i replaced thermostat. coolant level is good. blend door isnt broken. truck used to have a great heater. now it doesnt even get warm in the cab at all. what am i missing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
Many times these get a plugged heater core, so I would flush and back flush the heater core to see if it helps your problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sitting in the truck with it running and the heater control turned off truck at operating temp when you turn the control to heat it blows hot for like a minute and then it just gets cooler and cooler until its not even warm air.
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
Those are classic signs of a plugged heater core, the heater core is plugged so not enough fluid is going through it to keep it hot.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will unhooking the two heater hoses and back flushing with a garden hose be enough to clean it out?
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is how many people do it, you will need to flush it in both dirrections several times.