SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

96 ford taurus: hey..wont start..backfires..it be a fuel pump

Customer Question

hey have a 96 ford taurus with a 24 valve 3.0 wont start kinda spurters and backfires.. could it be a fuel pump??
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer when you depress the fuel schrader valve, does the fuel come out with any kind of force or does it just drip? Try again with a rag over it so you don't spray yourself and at the same time have an assistant cycle the key from the off to the run position. If your fuel pump is functioning correctly there should be a steady strong flow of fuel at that point. try this and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

plenty of gas squirts out

Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
I would like for you to just tip the accelerator pedal open just a little and attempt to start the engine, if it does not start then locate the wire connector to the mass air flow sensor, this is on the air intake tube just to the engine side of the air filter. Disconnect this connector and try to start the engine and see if it starts up somewhat normally. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No good, It seems like it wants to fire but just doesnt...
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.

Even though you are getting an ample amount of fuel flow from the schrader valve, it still doesn't mean the pump can generate enough pressure to allow the engine to start correctly. Do you know somebody that you could get a fuel pressure gauge from so that we could get an accurate test on the pump completed before we speculate on other things?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can go buy one whats the pressure Im looking for?

Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
at least 39 psi, if memory serves correct. I will double check and get right back to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok i did pull a plug and naturally it was soaked... i'll run and get a pressure gauge now bb in like 20 mins with answer

Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried holding the accelerator on the floor, you may just be flooded. And yes the correct fuel pressure is between 35 and 40 psi.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok...dont laugh but first time using a fuel pressure gauge! Hooked it up, cycled key about 3 times before it held at 40psi. Emptied it and tried again it 2 cycles of ignition to to 40... and then tried cranking it, it remained constant at 40 psi...

Ok so I bought this car non running and the Previous owner said he thought it was a fuel pump, and it;s been sitting for a while, so before I tried to start it the plugs should have been dried out im thinking

Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
yeah, in theory they should be dry, however with the accelerator on the floor it should clear out the cylinders and allow the veh to start. Your fuel pressure is fine. You said earlier that you have spark, how did you check for this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
put an old dirty plug in the boot and grounded it, had son crank car... spark!....shot some either in trottle body and backfired flames lol....
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
was the spark a bluish color, white, or red? Do you know of any repairs or repair attempts made to the vehicle prior to you purchasing it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it lloked blueish whit I'll go check again, only thing according to previos owner was he had a buddy mechanic check it in the parking spot where it was and they summised it was fuel pump cuase the lady kept running it low on gas was their theory...and before I spring for a $200 fuel pump I want to make sure

Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
I don't think the pump is the issue at this point. I will return shortly, boss is calling
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok spark is blues reddish
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
That is a good color, so what I need for you to do is go back to the mass air flow sensor at the air filter, take the air filter lid off and look inside and see if you can see any debris or dirt on the little 1/4 inch long coiled wire that is in the path of air flow from the air filter, then take a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and lightly swirl the q-tip on this fragile coiled wire to remove and dirt and oil, then restore the air filter lid and retry to start it. All we need to get this thing to fire is fuel, spark, air, and compression. With compression and spark would include valve and spark timing. We will look at that last, right now I want to make sure that the pcm can read incoming air. Do you have or know someone who has a compression gauge and a code reader?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I checked the mass airflow, I didnd try cleaning it, it looks good, I will try cleaning it tommorow and see if it fires. I have a compression tested, but not a code reader.

thanks Greg

Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
we are going to need to get all the spark plugs removed, block the throttle plate open, and insert the compression tester into one cylinder at a time and crank the engine through 5 compression strokes per cylinder and see what the compression is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok will do that tommorow.. already dark and cold as antartica here now!

Thanks...

Greg

Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
ok, talk with you then, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
awww crap.... just did front drivers side (pass side is burried under intake dohc) front one has about 125, second has about 50 and third has about 75 psi's popped the valve cover off, and chain and ohc all look fine...would imagine that its not a head gasket as no water in oil so figuring the rings are shot...whats your thought?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like it may have been run without an air filter where the cylinder walls could have been scored or a piece of debris got into these cylinders and damaged the rings or the valves. Next step would be to get the low cylinders at top dead center on the compression stroke, (valves closed) and apply compressed air into the cylinders to see weather the air escapes into the crank case, intake manifold, or exhaust. This will tell you if the problem is in the valves, or piston rings. Either way she is gonna need to come apart to fix.
Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Bob, I figured before I went crazy I'd just put three new plugs in the accesible side and it started up obviously ran like crap blew out some shit and runs better...but here is the question...since its almost impossible to get the pass side plugs out without pulling the upper plenum off... and the drivers side had motorcraft plugs i'm thinking they have never been changed...it still has a miss... am I wrong in thinking the easiest way to pull those plugs is to pull the upper plenum??
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
That is exactly how it is done! Once you have done a few, that upper intake can come off in about 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so I replaced plugs on pass side, put her all back together, she runs, has a low end miss/stumble under load at first acceleration. While Its running i pulled the wires one at a time on drivers side...two seam to have very weak spart one was like gang busters. After it warmed up good just for sanity check I did a compression check on what were the low (2) cylinders before and they both came up with 125-135 psi... I did notice too that the exhaust pressure seams very weak. like I can easly put my hand over in and stop the flow, (dual exhaust)...
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
What was the reading on the cylinder that you previously got 125 psi out of now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they were like 50 and 75 but i wasnt sure if the cylinders were washed out with gas/either...
Expert:  SuperBob replied 4 years ago.
so the cylinder that was 125 previously now is at 50 or 75 and the ones that were low before are now 125?? I am a little confused. could you elaborate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no no i didnt check the good one... just the two that were low
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yikes I hit accept, when I ment to hit reply...but its all good, I have apprieciatted your patientce with me...